Why won't my computer dial my dial-up internet service phone number anymore.

computerphobe
computerphobe Member Posts: 1 New User

I was connected to the internet via my dial-up server when suddenly it was disconnected.  When I tried to reconnect, my computer displays the dialing mode & I can hear the dial tone but the dial tone isn't as loud as it had been in the past.  Then at that point I was always able to hear the tone as the number was being dialed in the past when it was working properly, but now it just doesn't dial.  Can anyone there in computerland help me?  

Thanks, Gary

Answers

• I don't know for sure where the problem is but I guess I need to know a little more information because it could be 2 ways here.....

One are you talking about your COMPUTER connecting to a ISP over Dial-Up ?

Or from your Post it almost sounds like your computer is connected VIA Cat5 or Some other type of Network cable (Running a Client software) that then tells a Internet Network Server to Dial out to your ISP. IF this is how your connected to the Internet There are far to many problems that could be answered over a Computer Hardware Forum. 

IF the issue is Just a Computer over Dial Up and your modem isn't Dialing anymore just taking the Modem off Hook but then it don't dial. I would contact your ISP and ask them to help Troubleshoot your problem.

If the issue is over a Dial Up Server, You would need to make sure that your Workstation and Server are able to talk back and forth, make sure your Server is running up to par. Could be that the Server needs to be Rebooted.

Also could be that From the Workstation to the Sever the right Password/ User combo is not being used that allows the user on the Workstation to access the Internet. I would Trace your failed connection and set up a full log

Information from a trace is recorded in the Miscellaneous Events view of the log. In the Trace Connections Log Options field, you can set the level of detail to record. For maximum information, choose Full Trace Information.

Sorry without more information I can't really understand for sure where the problem is.

If you have a Cord going to your MODEM of your computer/Laptop I would contact your ISP as it could be something rather easy.

James