Reinstalling on a new drive. Partition questions

Options
aaronbav
aaronbav Member Posts: 1 New User

Have a friend with a 2012 Gateway Desktop (not sure of the model). Anyway the original hard drive that came with the system was failing (Bad Clusters/Sectors) so I put a new drive in (removed the old one first). Had the 4 recovery disk that were created for the system and was able to successfully reload Win7 on the new drive. The one thing I noticed though was that on the original disk (that was failing) there were several partitions, but on the new disk that was installed from the DVD's, none of the other partitions were created on the new disk - just the one for the OS. So my question is: was there anything special I should have done to prepare the new drive?

It seems the "recovery" partition that was on the original failing disk was not recreated on the new disk, which causes me some concern, however everything seems to be working.

The other thing is that I _think_ the original drive _may_ have been using UEFI and GPT, but since I see no UEFI partition on the new drive, I assume that the new installation is using MBR as opposed to UEFI.  When I am next over there, I will check if that is the case - which if it is the case, makes me wonder why the recovery disk didn't use UEFI/GPT. Again I could be 100% wrong about that!

This is my first expereince with a Gateway System. Previously I had an E-Machine from 2008 which I also created the recovey Disk for, and when I had to use them to reinstall that system on a new drive, it created ALL the partitions that were on the original drive.

Just wondering,

Thanks!!

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Options

Hi,

a new HDD doesn't need any special partitions scheme, on the contrary a completly wiped HDD is better since we have seen some issues during windows installation.

about UEFI/Legacy: since your system had windows 7 from factory, probably is Legacy only but if you can report the exact model, we can clear this easily.

About different partitions: have you checked under windows Disk management?

I'm not an Acer employee.