Problem using eRecovery CDs on a Gateway PC

Options
KarlB
KarlB Member Posts: 8 New User

Hi all,

I have a Gateway DX4380 PC that came with Windows 8 preinstalled.  Windows recently got corrupted after an automatic update.  I tried using auto repair but it couldn't fix the problem.  I finally ordered a set of eRecovery discs from Acer, wiped the hard drive, and tried to do a full system restore.  This isn't working either.

When I boot using the system disc in UEFI mode and attempt to restore the system, I get a message telling me I have to reboot the system in Legacy Boot Mode.  No problem, right?  I make the needed changes in the BIOS and boot in Legacy mode.  Now a message pops up that says, "Restore Failed:  This recovery system can only be used on "UEFI" mode."

Now what?  I'm stumped at this point and really hope you guys can help!

Thanks in advance.

Answers

• philetus
    philetus ACE Posts: 4,759 Pathfinder
    Options

Did you start with recovery disk 1 or the system disk?

• KarlB
    Options

I started with the system disk.

• philetus
    Options

The solution is to use diskpart to "clean" the hdd. You don't want any partitions on the disk.

Boot from a Windows disk and select Repair my computer. Get to command prompt and type diskpart, then list disk.

The hdd should be disk0. Type select disk 0, type clean, exit,exit, now the recovery disks will work in uefi.

• KarlB
    Options

Thanks for the reply!

I used a program called Partition Wizard to wipe the drive initially.  I then created one partition and formatted it in NTFS.  I don't have a Windows disk, as Gateway doesn't provide them, but I can use the same program to remove all partitions and start with a "clean" drive.  I'll try what you suggested and report back.

Thanks again.

• KarlB
    Options

Well, your suggestion got me past that impass, but I have run into another.

I was able to install the eRecovery disks, but have run into another hurdle.  The recovery disks copied and recreated all of the partitions found on the original HD, but when trying to boot up I get the following error..

Apply Failed-error code 0x0000005 imagex cannot apply image: (null))

All of the partitions are there, but no boot.  The PC doesn't recognize the HD as being bootable.  Any other suggestions?

• philetus
    Options

Did you start with the drive in "RAW" condition? No partitions, no format? 

• KarlB
    Options

That is correct.  No partitions and unformatted.

• KarlB
    Options

I gave more thought to your previous reply.

What I did was use the utility I have to remove all partitions from the drive.  After that, the file system is listed as "unallocated".  I was assuming that meant the drive was now in a "raw" state, but maybe not?

So, I have 2 questions:

Does simply removing all partitions also remove the file system formatting?

If not, what's the easiest way to revert the drive to a "raw" state?

• philetus
    Options
  • KarlB
    Options

Before proceeding, I would like to thank you for taking the time to assist me.  I really appreciate it.

I've been trying multiple approaches.  I've used the utility I mentioned to wipe the drive.  I've also used diskpart to do the same.  In both cases I am now getting the following message after copying everything from the recovery disks:

Restore Failed - Can not find image path:M:\RecoveryImage\Install.wim

I would hope the good folks at Acer took the time to verify the recovery disks I paid for before sending them to me, but that's neither here nor there.  I will try creating a new set of installation media when I can.  The only working system I have at the moment is running Vista, so it won't let me create the 8.1 media.

Thanks again.

• KarlB
    Options

I have sent Justin a PM.

Thanks.

• Snuffy
    Snuffy Member Posts: 150 Fixer WiFi Icon
    Options
    I have a question. you have the recovery media by Acer and you say 1. you have used 2 methods to CLEAN the HDD. (no issue) 2. you get an ERROR "In both cases I am now getting the following message after copying everything from the recovery disks:" one the Recovery Media by all Acers that I have for Windows 8 to Windows 10 "Do not have Install.wims" you should find install.swms more than 1 and the recovery media when you BOOT to the media and follow the instructions very carefully, will a. FORMAT the HDD - full and complete b. it will then make the proper partitions on the HDD c. it will then convert the .swms to .wim on the HDD only after the SWMs are converted to .wim will it function properly. if you want to do this you self. you can if you techy. -------------------------------------- Yes, there is a method, Im sure more than one way. but here is Snuffys way. I suggest you use at least a 16GB USB - you might not need all depends on what all you have in your Recovery Media Disks. first you make the .iso a USB or uncompress it. your choice. I burnt my to USB - faster that way than some old DVD. I use D: make 3 directores 1. swms 2. wim 3. iso 4. ESD 1st thing is find how many images you have to export. or which one you want to export DISM /Get-WimInfo /WimFileSmiley Very Happy:\ESD\sources\install.esd You do want to know which image is which, usually image 1 is Pro and image 2 is core dism /export-image /sourceimagefileSmiley Very Happy:\swms\install.swm /swmfile:install*.swm /sourceindex:1 /destinationimagefileSmiley Very Happy:\wim\install.wim it will take all the .swm(s) and add to an make 1 Install.wim. next dism /Export-Image /SourceImageFileSmiley Very Happy:\wim\install.wim /SourceIndex:1 /DestinationImageFileSmiley Very Happy:\iso\install.esd /Compress:recovery dism /Export-Image /SourceImageFileSmiley Very Happy:\wim\install.wim /SourceIndex:2 /DestinationImageFileSmiley Very Happy:\iso\install.esd /Compress:recovery now you have a ESD and you need to do both images if you have two and want to export both... sample code if you want to make a bootable image oscdimg -bD:\iso\boot\etfsboot.com -h -u2 -m -liso D:\iso\ D:\win81.iso