Packard Bell ENTG71BM, a faulty touchpad.

Igor_Smet
Igor_Smet Member Posts: 18 Troubleshooter

Hallo, community, will you kindly advise me? And excuse me for my bad English!

I bought Laptop Packard Bell Easynote ENTG71BM with Windows 8.1 pre-installed, but the OS hung up fully now and again and all of a sudden. Sheer reset launched it anew only. An upgrade to Windows 10 did not help - the problem stayed. Tech support and authorised service centre have refused to help and be responsible for it. You cannot, however, use the machine like this and I was compelled to install Windows 7. I have found in the Internet the suitable drivers for Win7 with exception of a good touchpad driver. I have tried a dozen of them, none did. The touchpad does not work properly. Its code in device manager is ACPI\ETD050A.
What should I do then that to remove the issue?
Thank you!

Answers

• Go here:

http://www.driverscape.com/manufacturers/packard+bell/laptops-desktops/easynote-entg71bm/199774

Change the dropdown box to Windows 7 and SCROLL DOWN to "PS/2 Compatable mouse.Don't click the gig red download button to the right.

Download it and try it.

I downloaded it and scanned it with Avira and Superantispyware and it appears to be clean.

I hope it does the job for you.

• Igor_Smet

Many thanks, philetus, but no, it does not work.
    I have followed your directions and here is my report of the doings:
    I. Before your post (maybe it matters).
    I have installed:
    1. Launch Manager 5.1.15 (the version 8.00.8108 of it did not allow to be installed under Windows 7).
    2. A keybaord App. MKey 1.3.1 ( seriosoft.org/download.php ).
    3. A driver for a mouse A4Tech X6-80D from here: a4tech.com/download%20driver.asp?cmodnum=X6-80D
    Since Windows 7 had been installed, the laptop hung up never once.
    II. After your post:
    I have downloaded and, without hindrance, installed the Driver for PS/2 Compatible Mouse from the above page but nothing changed, namely,:
    1. The scrolling feature of the touchpad does not work at all and all of the other precision touchpad features, which were available under Windows 8.1, are absent now too.
    2. A screen cursor reacts to the finger movements in the touchpad only after Windows restart and sleep mode, but after leaving hibernation mode the device is dead - the cursor is motionless.
    Suppose, I have installed something else wrong before it.
    I would be glad if you could give me a helping hand generously.
    So long!

[edited to comply with guidelines - removed links]

• philetus
    philetus ACE Posts: 4,759 Pathfinder

With no official drivers for Windows 7, you may have a very hard time getting the touch pad working cirrectly.

I think you dhould uninstall these two until you get the touch pad working.

2. A keybaord App. MKey 1.3.1 ( seriosoft.org/download.php ).
    3. A driver for a mouse A4Tech X6-80D from here: a4tech.com/download%20driver.asp?cmodnum=X6-80D

Try doing a search for a driver using this method:

http://driverzone.com/node/182

• Igor_Smet

Will it be all right from me to reply later on?

• philetus

absolutely

• Igor_Smet

Thanks a lot. There is some advancement this time.
    For the common good, I shall describe it minutely.
    The sought for touchpad driver for Windows 7 proved not to be at [ driverzone.com/node/182 ]. After I had brought the HardwareID of the device in search line and choosed OS Windows 7, 64-bit, a page for downloading opened but with the deadlink in it. There was a name of the driver in this page, namely, ELAN Input Device, Driver Version: 15.6.1.1 , and I began to look for the driver by name by means of Google, where got a number of links and have downloaded it from here: [ drivers.windows7download.com/win7-elan-input-device-driver-15-6-1-1-64-bit/download-xhtsj.html ]. Previously, I have uninstalled the keyboard App. MKey 1.3.1, the driver for the mouse A4Tech X6-80D and, then, installed the downloaded touchpad driver. The installation went off without any peculiarities, and, strange as it may seem, the touchpad started working. After it, the MKey 1.3.1 and the driver of the mouse have been installed. These two do their job perfectly, without having any incompatibility issues with the touchpad driver.
    But, and it is very important, one problem persisted, namely, the touchpad did not work after leaving hibernation mode at all. At some notebooks forums, however, I have read that, sometimes, removal of a battery is of use in the cases like that. The battery of the machine is built-in, unremovable though, and so I have got the OS shut down, then inserted a tip of a paper clip into the hole in the back side (see the red arrow in the pic. below),

1.png

pushed it down, have been holding it on at that position for a few seconds, then, have got the Windows started with one-minute break, and, voilà, thе touchpad works all along, including the condition after hibernation mode.

Dear philetus, I was searching all days long for web sites with good drivers dealing with my notebook in them but, nevertheless, could not find, try as I might, the sites as great as ones you pointed out here, therefore, I kudoed your post.
    Yet, I have one more question to ask you.
    The touchpad had one advantage under Windows 8.1, that is you could evoke by touching with two fingers sumultaneously a pop-up menu with a list of tasks for an item you pointed with the cursor at. There is such opportunity at present too, i. e. you have to click in the hind right corner of the pad for that purpose but the former way was much more convenient. The preferences of the device let you set any task for a three-fingers touching (see the pic. below)

2.jpg

or for an one-finger touching in any of four corners of the pad and I would like to make it just for a pop-up menu appearing. Still, I don't know, where a file .exe of the pop-up menu is on a PC, what is necessary for that purpose. I tried finding it out through the Google but one tells only of the keyboard shortcut keys there and I don't know, in what way it is applicable in this case.
    See me through this business please!
    Yours sincerely, Igor.

• philetus

Try Control Panel/ Mouse

• Igor_Smet

There is nothing of the kind in Control Panel/ Mouse. By the way, the second pic. in my previous post is just from there, the tab Elan. Thanks. 

• philetus

OK, now that I have had some coffee, I believe you are talking about the right click menu. 

I found this site. I don't know if you have already found it, but it's the Official Packard Bell site and has all the updated drivers for your laptop. All 2015 drivers for Win 10.

http://www.packardbell.co.uk/pb/en/GB/content/download

• Igor_Smet

Exactly, the right click menu. My English is not perfect. I am sorry.
    I was at that page already at the outset of my searching and tried it but the touchpad driver for Win 10 did not work under Win 7.

• philetus

What was the reason you went back to Windows 7?

• Igor_Smet

I have expounded it at the very beginning of the topic.