One long two short beeps at startup during the POST.

Options
dminsf
dminsf Member Posts: 2 New User

Hi all,

MoBo is Acer H61H2-AD. Machine is Gateway SX2855, purchased 10/2013.  I understand this indicates a hardware error and inet searching seems to indicate video card.  I do not and never had a video/graphics card, always used MoBo supplied.  My question, any idea what the one-long two-short specifically indicates?  I've tried checking all wire connections (unplug/re[plug) and same with memory (single 4GB card), also tried moving memory card to other slot, and a good de-dusting via compressed air, all with no luck, still getting the beeps. Visual inspection doesn't identify any obvious bad capacitors.  Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Doug

Answers

• philetus
    philetus ACE Posts: 4,759 Pathfinder
    Options

The three models of the Gateway SX2855 I found all have Intel HD integrated graphics. Unless you installed a Video card or yours is a model with a PCI video card, you have integrated graphics.

Is it booting? to a black screen? Have you tried F8 at boot to boot into safe mode?

As soon as you start, start tapping F8 rapidly.

If you get into safe mode, go to Programs and Features and uninstall the video driver and reboot.

• dminsf
    dminsf Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

Thanks for the response.  Yes it does have integrated graphics.  It was not booting, black screen, no screen activity. I found a new, replacement, same-model-for-SX2855 MoBo from Ebay for very reasonable $$ and put that in, and the problem is solved. So apparently the MoBo went south.  Would be interesting to figure out what in MoBo failed.  Visual inspection did not show any signs of component failure, e.g. swollen/leaking cap, signs of arching, etc. The only way to be 100% sure would be to retry the old MoBo, as maybe the CPU swapping fixed a bad connection, or ...    But since it is working I'm going to leave it be, unless another failure occurs down the road.

I did not try the F8 at boot, as the MoBo arrived and I installed before receiving your reply.  But I appreciate the response and the idea.