NE56R31u - Gateway Laptop - HD Fail

Options
Voodoo3defx
Voodoo3defx Member Posts: 4 New User

Troubleshooting Laptop for a neighbor. Hard Drive wasn't being recognzied when first began troubleshooting laptop. Tried using connector via USB to SATA on personal pc and it took a long time to even bring up drive contents. Neighbor didn't have CDs that came with laptop so I ordered the $20 recovery cd's from ACER and they arrived last week. Still was unable to restore original HD, so I purchased a new Western Digital 500GB drive.

System Disc was able to get me into setup and Recovery Disk 1 of 3 went through as normal. When I got to disc 2 of 3 I started to run into issues. I would get to 66% when it would be copying Z:\IMAGES\POP010G023X03C7192.SWM, where this would fail and give me the message, "Restore failed - Error Code=0x17(Data error (cyclic redundancy check).) I have tried to make a copy of disc 2 and still come upon the same error, I'm not sure if 3 of 3 will have an issue or the language cd as I never got to that part. Has anyone had any luck getting replacement cd so we do not need to spend another $20 to run into the same issue.

20160604_110712.jpg20160604_111306.jpg

Answers

• Captain_WD
    Captain_WD Member Posts: 39 New User
    Options

Hey there Smiley Happy Welcome to the community!

Contacting Acer's live support may be the best thing to do here, but let's see what we can do about this.

Did you test the new drive before using it? I would run WD Data Lifeguard Diagnostic and see if it passes both the quick and the extended tests. This should exclude the drive as the potential cause of the issue. 

This topic should also be useful in this case. 

Post back with some progress!

Captain_WD.

• Voodoo3defx
    Options

Sorry Captain it took me so long to reply back. I downloaded the utility and scanned the drive. It passed the normal and extended tests. See attached.WD Extended Test.jpg

WD Test Results.jpg

• Captain_WD
    Options

Please delete the Serial Number from the second screenshot as this info shouldn't be posted online! 

According to the tool the drive is performing properly and is safe to use so it shouldn't be causing problems. 
    Acer's support should be able to help with this.

Captain_WD.

• Voodoo3defx
    Options

Agreed. I don't believe there to be an issue with the HD. The other thread you indicated earlier mentioned possible issues in the past with the media that was being sent out. Could that be an issue as I can get through the System Disc and Disc 1 of the Recovery but then fails partway through Recovery Disc 2. I'm not sure about Recovery Disc 3 or the Language Disc as I haven't gotten to that step.

• Voodoo3defx
    Options

Hi Captain, I tried doing a Live Support last night but because of the SNID being out of warranty I was unable to advance to a live chat. After running the drive tests successfully, it reload once again failed on Recovery Disk 2. Whom would I contact possibly about faulty disks that I had previously ordered for this machine?

• Captain_WD
    Options

One thing you may be able to do is to contact the place where you got the drives from. As this does not appear to be a problem with the HDD I'm left with the impression that the recovery drives themselves may be faulty.
    Another thing you could do is create a bootable thumb drive and do a clean install of the OS without going through the official recovery drives. This link may be helpful.

Captain_WD