I have emachine el 1200-05w desktop. How do I get wifi capability?

Options
hopeful1
hopeful1 Member Posts: 2 New User

My emachine el 1200-05w doesn't have wifi capability.  I got a wifi dongle but it does nothing.  When I go into the area where you see what internet services you have, it only shows LAN and Bluetooth capability.  I need wireless capability as I have a hotspot for internet service.  Did internet search for this problem but it was of no help. 

Any help, suggestions, etc. will be greatly appreciated. 

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Options

what's the model of USB wifi dongle?

have you installed the drivers?

installed OS on your PC?

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • hopeful1
    hopeful1 Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

The dongle is a 2.0 USB bluetooth wireless adapter for HP, Gateway, Emachine, Dell or any labtop MH.

I can't install drivers as I have no internet access on the desktop.  I am using my laptop to, hopefully, get my desktop connected to the internet.

The OS is Micosoft Windows - XP.  I know just a little about computers but am very good at following directions.

I tried to connect the dongle using the add a bluetooth device, but it could not locate the dongle.

Thank you for any help you can give.  It is greatly appreciated!

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Options

you need to find drivers for that USB dongle or it will be like having nothing connected on your desktop.

using your laptop, browse for drivers and then use an USB flash drive to copy and install on your desktop.

I'm not an Acer employee.