I have a gateway sx2802-1 the hard drive fried. I ordered recovery disk and installed a new 1tb driv

Options
John60
John60 Member Posts: 3 New User
edited March 2023 in 2014 Archives

After going through the recovery installation. This error message came up. Windows setup could not comfigure windows to run on this computer's hardware. can someone help with a solution. I am out of warranty.

Answers

• Spartan1
    Spartan1 Member Posts: 36

Tinkerer

Options

Need a bit more info from you I think...

Roughly how old is the Gateway machine?

What version of Windows came with it originally?  e.g. XP, Windows 7, etc.

What version of Windows is on the recovery CD/DVD?

Is the recovery disk SPECIFICALLY for that model of Gateway?

What size HDD did the Gateway originally have fitted in it?  Maybe the BIOS doesn't support drives that big??

The message you've received tends to indicate that the machine was built to run an earlier operating system, and the recovery disk perhaps contains a more modern Windows system.

• John60
    Options

The machine is 5 years old with window 7. The recovery disk were ordered specifically for this model. The original HD was 750 GB and the new drive is 1 TB. Can I change the BIOS to accept the 1 TB?

• Spartan1

Tinkerer

Options

If the original HDD was 750Gb, then I'm pretty sure a 1Tb will work ok.  When I made the original comment I'd no idea how old the machine was.

Gateway as a company has had a pretty bumpy ride during its history, and I'm still wondering if you really have been given the right recovery disk for your machine.  I'll assume the motherboard and video card (if separate) are originals, so if they've provided the bona fide recovery disk, it ought to work.

You could try setting the BIOS back to defaults, save settings, then reboot.  Other than that, there are probably not a lot of options when you start the recovery procedure.

Also, you should contact the person at Gateway who sold you the recovery disk, and tell them it doesn't work, and quote the error message.  And have they any clues as to why it fails with that message.  Does the recovery disk actually say on it the correct model number?

• John60
    Options

I want to thank the Acer support community for its support in trying to repair my computer. I did try all the options suggested to me but alas they have not worked. I have had to move on. I think now my only option is to buy windows and install it a new in a blank 1 TB drive. Thanks anyway. Adios.

• Spartan1

Tinkerer

Options

John, there is the remote possibility that when the original hard disk drive got 'fried' as you put it, it might have partially damaged other parts, e.g. the hard disk interface to the motherboard, etc., etc.  Can you borrow an Windows installation disk, even XP, just to test that installation is still possible?  Then if ok, go buy yourself Windows 7 or Windows 8 etc...