I have a Gateway DX4860 and need to download bios version P2.A2 to re-flash the bios.

brian64
brian64 Member Posts: 2 New User

My Gateway DX-4860 was attached by a virus which embedded itself in the BIOS firmware.   I need to replace my current bios version P2.A2 and cannot find the download.    Is there a download location for existing BIOS versions for Gateway machines.    The update P3.A3 is not correct for my machine.    Any help would be appreciated.

Thank You,

Brian

Answers

• JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder

brian64,

Can you give more details on how you discovered you had infection in BIOS.  I'm not doubting you at all.  I just don't know how you discovered it.  I've dealt with several MBR infections but never dealt with BIOS infection.....but I know they exist.

Sorry I don't know how to get BIOS for your computer.  Maybe someone else will know.

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • brian64
    brian64 Member Posts: 2 New User

I have dealt with this infection many times.  I am not sure what name it goes by, but it's hides all over the hard drive and evan after wrting zeros to the hard drive and load a clean version of windows and drivers, it has come back.    So, my only conclusion is that it imbedded itself in the bios.    So, now when I see this infection, characterized by hundres of 'desktop.ini' files in places that windows doesn't place desktop.ini files, I am sure to reflash the bios after either cleaning out all infected files or wiping the hard drive and the infection does not return.

Please let me know if you have any followup questions.     I am hoping that somewhere in the servers at Gateway, there is a copy of the F2.A2 bios file for my computer.

• techy
    techy Member Posts: 56 Troubleshooter

if your version of windows is not an upgrade then did you try the other bios file on gateway web page

BIOSGatewayBIOS - UEFI for Windows 8 (Not for Upgrades)P11.A33.1 MB2013/09/02

as well did you try a different harddrive in your computer to install windows on as the virus could be just on the drive and not the bios, i would think this would confirm a bios infection.

Just a thought.