I had Comcast internet installed, now my computer won't shut down. Comcast says it's a computer iss

carolkulik
carolkulik Member Posts: 5 New User

I had Comcast internet installed on my 4-yr old Gateway computer and now my computer won't shut down.  Comcast said it's a computer issue and not theirs.  The only way it shuts down is if I put it on Log Off and sometime during the night is shuts down.  The next day, I get a message that my computer was not shut down correctly.

Carol Kulik

Answers

• philetus
    philetus ACE Posts: 4,759 Pathfinder

Navigate to the folder:  C:\Program Files\comcasttb (C:\Program Files (x86) on 64 bit systems). 

Click on comcasttb and you'll see a new folder "comcast antispy" open that contains an uninstall file. 

Run the uninstall program.  

Reboot your system and double check the process is no longer running (Task Manager).  

You'll then need to manually remove the folder called "comcasttb".

If the comcasttb folder is not located in the Program Files folder, you will need to search your hard drive for it.

• carolkulik

Thank you, but I have no idea what you are talking about.  I don't want to uninstall Comcast.  I just paid for it.  I now have a new problem.  When I try to log into Explorer, I get a message that I don't have a connection.  I still think this is a Comcast issue.

• philetus

I didn't say to uninstall Comcast. Read it again with the key words ""comcast antispy" in mind.

• carolkulik

Thank you.  I did as you suggested and there is no folder named comcasttb.  So I did a search in programs and files and according to that, comcasttb does not exist.  Did I do a search in the wrong place?  I am technically challanged so please explain in English Smiley Happy

• philetus

Did anything else get installed with the Comcast?

Did Comcast install Norton on your computer or something called Constant guard?

• carolkulik

Not as far as I know.  He didn't say anything about that.  Now sometimes I get a "no connection" message and have to force a shut-down and reboot.  Comcast is telling me it's a computer issue but I never had this problem with the other internet service I had.  Should I call them again?

• philetus

If it started right after they left, I would call them and tell them that.

What Did they install on your computer? All they would really need to do is connect the computer to their internet and it doesn't involve installing things.

• carolkulik

I probably used the wrong word.  I had Clear Wireless and he said that he just needed to replace their box with Comcast's.  That's what he did.  He made sure my phone and tablet was synced to the wireless protion, that I was able to get on the internet and said it was good to go.  He nor I ever turned off my computer or rebooted it.  I turned it off that night and that's when I discovered it wouldn't go off. Should I call Comcast and tell them it's not a computer problem?  Thanks for your help.  I'm sorry that I appear so dumb, but it's my generation.

• philetus

Go to start if Windows 7 or windows search and type msconfig. Then Startup and disable everything. Click apply and reboot.If it reboots fine, go back to msconfig and start enabling each one at a time and reboot until you find the one that stops it from rebooting.