Gateway ZX6900 System Crash

Options
MildPanic
MildPanic Member Posts: 2 New User

I have a Gateway ZX6900 that was running Windows 7 Premium OEM. I say was because the hard drive is currently a paper weight. Seems like a good time to go to Windows 10 since everything is lost anyway.

Replaced the hard drive only to find out the recovery discs are not working. So much for restore than upgrade.

In the past I would have downloaded the Windows 7 .ISO direct from Microsoft, phone activation support to get the key on the back of the machine activated, and away you go. Microsoft has removed those links with the release of Windows 10. Of course!

So I have a Windows 7 Premium product key, no Windows 7 media, and hoping to somehow wind up with an activated Windows 10 Home. Any ideas?

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Options
    If you download the latest windows 10 iso, it will accept your windows 7 product key during the installation.
    I'm not an Acer employee.
  • MildPanic
    MildPanic Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

Tried that but no joy. I was expecting it to work based on some posts found round around the net.

Found a Windows 7 install disk I downloaded from Microsoft some time ago. Currently installing that. Getting the OEM key activated can be a pain sometimes but a phone call should sort that out. Once that's done should be able to proceed with the Windows 10 upgrade.

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Options

really?

that's strange, maybe some keys are blocked as OEM.

looking for someone else to try it.

I'm not an Acer employee.