Gateway NV55S28u reinstall media

Options
chuckgg
chuckgg Member Posts: 2 New User

My Gateway NV55S28u  laptop did a hard crash.  I'm unable to access any data off the factory hard drive.  I'm unable to locate the orignal backup disks, I do have the recovery disk, but since the recovery partition is toast it doesn't help me.  Is it possible to purchase media to restore the laptop back to factory?

I already have a replacemeny hard drive ready to install, just need the OS and drivers.

Answers

• finlux
    finlux ACE Posts: 1,834 Pathfinder
    Options

Hi chuckgg

I'm a little confused when you say you're unable to locate the original backup disks, but you do have the recovery disk?

If the disk you have is the Gateway Recovery disk, then you do not need the recovery partition anyway - the disk is a complete copy of it. Just place disk in optical drive & boot from it. If the recovery disk you're talking about is the Windows 7 Recovery/Repair disk, then no, you cannot reinstall Windows from that!

Acer may be able to supply a set of recovery disks & drivers for your laptop, contact Gateway support in the first instance to see if they can help.

Let us know how you get on!

• chuckgg
    chuckgg Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

What I have is the Windows 7 Recovery/Repair disk.  As you've pointed out the repair disk can only repair a failing Windows 7 system, not reinstall it.

The Gateway link provided only provides support for in warranty service.  This system is out of warranty; the out of warranty link on the page takes me to a third party support site that charges $99 for an incident.

Can Acer provide set of recovery disks & drivers for my laptop?  If so how do I go about placing an order?  Is a download possible or would physical disks be provided?

Thank you,

• finlux
    Options

As far as I'm aware, it will be supplied on disk & not as a download.

Try the Acer store eRecovery page - here. There is also a phone number to try.

• northstar1220
    northstar1220 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options

Just had the same thing happen to my laptop. Wonder if others are having hard drive issues on this same model. Anyway, using a western digital hard drive to replace the oe hard drive. Hopefully when i get the recover disc that i ordered from erecovery that it solves my issue. Thank god I back my files before this happened.

• finlux
    Options

As far as I can tell, there are not issues reported with your model, it's just a coincidence. Good tip about backing up Smiley Happy

• Captain_WD
    Captain_WD Member Posts: 39 New User
    Options

Hey there chuckgg,

I'm sorry for the troubles with your system. Have you resolved the problem? What is the brand and model of the old storage drive?

northstar1220, 
    I would suggest that you try booting from a Linux Live CD and see if that recognizes the drive and if it can check the drive's S.M.A.R.T. status so you know if and why it has failed. Here's a link with more details: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/LiveCD
    You should be able to reuse your OS key (if you have it) and do a fresh install on your new HDD either with the OS disk or by creating a bootable media.
    contacting Acer's live support could also be useful.

Post back with some progress Smiley Happy

Captain_WD.