Gateway/Acer NV53 OS reload problems

Options
Phil205
Phil205 Member Posts: 1 New User

I bought a new laptop and wanted to keep my still functioning, 7 yr old NV53 (Win 7 Home Premuim 64) as a backup. It has been slow as dirt for some time and refused to update anymore, so I decided to just reset to factory fresh and start over. It goes fine . . . for a while. But after the OS reload and initial setup, it just won't update. Oh, it DL'd and installed about 75 updates, but just won't go any further, leaving me stuck with MSIE 8, which so many sites won't eve recognize. Even with Chrome installed and running, I get nasty notes to update my OS. Attempting to manually check for updates leads to the classic "searching for updates" hang. I cannot manually install a later version of MSIE, even 9, because it says my browser and/or OS is out of date. Ditto for SP1. I seen to be stuck. I see references to a full version, pre-updated version of Win 7 HP with SP1, but the OEM key code from the Microsoft sticker on the bottom won't work for that, nor will a code I extracted with Jelly Bean.

Any thoughts? Any ideas? This thing is 7 years old, but it has been reliable and faithful and I hate to just toss it, and now I'm scared even a new Win 10 load won't work. I'd appreciate any help.