Gateway 4860-UB32P, boot problem! one short beep on startup.

Arielwayne
Arielwayne Member Posts: 3 New User
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer

one short beep normally is just the check confirmation, any other informations?

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • Arielwayne

This computer was a garage sale find.It came with 6gb memory, and a 1tb harddrive which didn't work. I replaced the the bad HD with a 500gb that works. Purchased the recovery disk set from Gateway. I erased the HD with Diskeraser then installed the system and windows 7 with recovery disks. Every thing worked fine for about an hr then crashed. When rebooted it won't load Windows with either EFI or Harddisk selected for startup in Bios. I unplugged, removed battery, pushed power button to drain capacitors. Then moved the Bios jumper from pins 1,2 to pins 2,3 to try to reset bios. Upon starting it gives one short beep, then upon holding the F10 key for a few moments it beeps 2 short beeps and enters bios. At the bottom of the bios page it states CMOS checksum error. From what I've read this usually means you have a dead battery. Replaced the old battery with a new one and tried to boot up, failed  to boot again. Rebooted using recovery disks in DVD drive everything works great, starts, shuts down, and reboots properly.But upon being shutdown overnight won't load windows. Gives same CMOS checksum error on Bios page. I tried removing each of the three memory sticks one at a time,didn't change problem. The bios is version P01 and I presumed the Bios may be corrupted so reloaded the system and Windows so I could download the P03 Bios from Gateways drivers page directly to the DX4860. The Win Dos exe wouldn't run which may be a blessing, I'd hate to brick this computer with wrong Bios. Everything works fine until shut down for awhile. The Cpu's fan and heatsink were very dusty so I removed them, cleaned and applied new dialectic to the processor. Removed the memory and cleaned the contacts with a pencil eraser, seated properly,same problem. Watched a video where a guy said if using two sticks of memory put them in the two blue connectors. If using three put two in blue and one in Black connector. Tried every combo I could think off made no difference where plugged in same problem.  

Ironfly Thank you so much for your response!

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer

yes checksum error, can be CMOS battery related or corrupted BIOS.

flashing a newer version is a good choice but you are no more able to boot to windows?

try to boot with just one ram stick too.

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • Arielwayne

Thanks for your suggestions!  It is still not working so I have ordered some components and will attempt it again when I get the order.