Emachines EL1358G-51w. Screen blanks white or black when switching apps.

Options
ralphful
ralphful Member Posts: 7 New User

Emachines El1358G-51w

1tb HD, 3gb DDR3 ram, AMD athlon II x2 220 dualcore processor.

When switching apps, or selecting a browser, the screen blanks solid white or solid black, for several seconds, or the screen may freeze, with a message "not responding"

If the computer hs been in sleep mode for about an hour, once "awake" it gets very slow, and takes several seconds to process keystrokes or mouse clicks. When I  check the cpu monitor,  shows 100 % use.

Any help would be appreciated! 

Answers

• philetus
    philetus ACE Posts: 4,759 Pathfinder
    Options

First thing to do is download and run free Malwarebytes   https://www.malwarebytes.org/antimalware/

Don't click the link at the top of the page. Scroll down to the two columns on the right.

• ralphful
    Options

OK, I downloaded and installed Malwarebytes. It found 679 PUPs, which I quarantined and removed. What is next?

About 50% of the time my keystrokes are ignored, especially if my browser (firefox) is open. Is it possible to have RAM problems,if so, how do I check that?

• philetus
    Options

Start, type in search mdsched.exe, click it and select reboot.

• ralphful
    Options

OK, I ran the memory test, no issues.

I have 3 GB of ram installed. Since the RAM is un balanced, 1Gb stick + 2Gb stick, is there a particular position for each in the two slots?

If the RAM is not an issue, what else do you recommend?

Many thanks for your answers so far.

• philetus
    Options

It wouldn't hurt to download the HDD mfrs HDD diagnostic cd and run it.

If you can plug in an ethernet cable and see how it does connected we could rule out the wifi.

What anti-virus program are you using?

• ralphful
    Options

I'll get the HDD info and test it. My virus App is McAfee.

What about the unbalanced RAM? is that an issue? The computer is stock, at least as far as hardware goes.

• ralphful
    Options

Additional infor on the last. When I run in safe mode with network, I dont see the blanking issue as much, although it still hangs occansionally, where it won't respond for several seconds. When in safe mode it's much faster too.

• philetus
    Options

Download the McAffe removal tool,

http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/mcafee_consumer_product_removal_tool.html

Download a good free anti-virus like Avira or Avast.

Remove McAffe and reboot.This should make a difference.