E642 starting up with black screen, how do I fix it properly, not just the temporary fix???

shameiks
shameiks Member Posts: 3 New User

My laptop has been starting up with a black screen.  As I am studying online, you can understand why I had a heart attack the first time it happened.  I googled it and tried all the solutions on the net; with the holding the power button down without the battery and power cord in, to drain the excess power, worked after about 20 tries.  I had to turn it off to take it to the library for quiet time without my 4 year old, and when I tried turning it back on, it did the same thing.  Again, after about 20 goes of draining it (and getting a massive stress headache), it turned back on. MY QUESTION IS... 

WHAT NEEDS TO BE FIXED SO THIS DOES NOT HAPPEN? WHAT IS THE MAIN CAUSE OF IT? 

Thanks so much in advance. Any help will be much appreciated as I do not have a back up computer or money to get a new one! 

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer

are you able to see the boot logo?

have you tried to connect it to an external monitor or TV?

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • shameiks
    Hi IronFly. I am unable to see the boot logo. The screen is just black. The tv does not pick it up when I connect it... But when it is on, it does. I am currently sitting here with my finger on the power button draining the power for the tenth time. Just waiting for that lucky time when it turns on. I've been on a break from uni but it starts back on Monday and I really don't want to have to pay someone to fix something no doubt so easy to fix myself... If I just knew what the actual issue was. Thank you for your reply.
  • IronFly

so you have an image on your TV?

this is good.

try this, boot just using the laptop monitor, use a flashlight and point it to the monitor, can you see any image?

if not, you probably have a dead laptop monitor.

Since you are able to work on external monitor, i would suggest you to try a BIOS update:

http://global-download.gateway.com/GDFiles/BIOS/BIOS/BIOS_eMachines_2.14_A_A.zip?acerid=634483775072268318&Step1=NOTEBOOK&Step2=E%20SERIES&Step3=E642&OS=ALL&LC=en&BC=EMACHINES&SC=PA_6E

connect the AC charger and run the exe inside the windows folder.

• shameiks
    Unfortunately, no I don't have an image on the tv... What I meant was, that when the laptop has come on (after I've drained it and tried to start it a million times) then the tv recognises it; but otherwise no go.

Nothing on the laptop screen when I shine light on it. If I manage to get it turned on today, is it worth doing the BIOS update? I might have to take it in somewhere won't I ????

Thanks heaps.
  • IronFly

ok, no image on both internal and external monitor...can be an hardware issue, so you can't do pretty much apart taking your laptop to a repair shop. Smiley Sad