Can I upgrade my cpu in NV79 from i3 330m to i5 or i7?

Options
Lakesidex
Lakesidex Member Posts: 4 New User

If so will there be any heat issue or anything else I should know about?

Answers

• laurent_14
    Options

Hello,

Could you give me the first ten characters of the computer serial number (S/N)? Only the first ten.

France
  • Lakesidex
    Options

Sure: LXWHH02009

• Lakesidex
    Options

I love this Gateway NV79... even if it is on its last legs. Have to redo the power jack to get rid of the black tape. The SSD mahes her purr like a kitten. If I have to open it up anyway I might as well try and get a few more cpu cycles.

Thanks for responding!

• laurent_14
    Options

Hello,

You can install an Intel I5-430M (TDP:35W too) with the same thermal module (heatsink).

France
  • Lakesidex
    Options

Cool thanks. 

So I assume that thei7 would need a different fan/heatsingk combination.

As is, my i3 runs hot and will crash from heat if I run the cpu over about %60. I use the laptop to remote into other machines so it isn't realy a big issue for me.

I'm thinking that after around 7 years of use, if I remove the heatsink and fan, clean, and re-apply some thermal paste things will run better. I May grab a new heatsink and fan combo just in case, since I will have the motherboard out anyway.

Is there any SUPER heatsink and fan that is compatible with the NV79, that will do a better job than stock? Like can i install an i7 heatsink fan/combo with an i3 or i5 for better performance?