Anyone know how can I find out what is the maximum RAM memory of my Gateway FX P-7805u?

IAMTHEGATEWAY
IAMTHEGATEWAY Member Posts: 6 New User

I'm kinda new around here, so I don't know much about this community, all I'm trying to find out is how to upgrade my RAM memory and in order to do that, I need to know first of all if that's even possible, as I learned some computers cannot add more memory RAM than the modules that came within the machine when acquired. What I am most surprised is that a brand like Gateway doesn't help too much on its official website, concerning this issue, wich I found it riddiculous... anyway, if anyone else around there is able to share some infos, I'm all eyes and ears.            Most probably, in order for that, someone might need to know my notebook's specs. Ok, here they are:                     Operating System
Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit SP2
CPU
Intel Mobile Core 2 Duo P8400 @ 2.26GHz 
Penryn 45nm Technology
RAM
4.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 531MHz (7-7-7-20)
Motherboard
Gateway IMV (U2E1)
Graphics
Generic PnP Monitor (1440x900@59Hz)
1024MB NVIDIA GeForce 9800M GTS (Gateway 2000)
Storage
298GB Seagate ST9320421AS (SATA)
Optical Drives
Optiarc DVD RW AD-7583S
PQTSNC FKPU7CTI7CLA SCSI CdRom Device
PQTSNC FKPU7CTI7CLA SCSI CdRom Device
Audio
Conexant High Definition SmartAudio 221

Answers

• finlux
    finlux ACE Posts: 1,834 Pathfinder

Hi IAMTHEGATEWAY

Download and run Crucial's system scanner. This program will tell you everything you need to know about your computer's memory requirements, and will even make recommendations for you!

The link I've provided is for the UK site, but you can change it to where you live, by clicking on the flag in the top left corner.

Hope this helps!

• IAMTHEGATEWAY

Thank you, my friend...that was helpful somehow...I know, it's not your fault,but it didn't help me 100%, as my problem is not solved yet. Honestly, I am now more confused than I was yesterday, but I repeat: that's not because of you! Frankly, it's that crucial Advisor tool, or System Scanner...whatever, that got me more confused about the issue. Let me explain you why I am saying that: I did the scan wich got some results as recommendations for my RAM memory, wich to my surprise looked a bit different than my modules, and I am not claiming they weren't the same brand, but the speed of the modules they advised me to acquire was different. Is that an issue or not? As far as I know my ones are at 533mhz and they advised me on 1600mhz. Second issue =  as for CPU-Z that i runned, showed me  the voltage of 1.50v and the ones they advised me were at 1.35v!!! Is that ok, as I see it by far an incompatibility issue. What do you suggest upon that, my friend? I am absolutely speechless...Smiley Sad

• IAMTHEGATEWAY

Perhaps I should upload some images concerning that, shouldn't I? As for the voltage infos, checked the SPD tab, wich showed:CPU-Z SPD.jpgCPU-Z.jpg

• IAMTHEGATEWAY

You can right click them and open in a new tab , for better resolution. As for the crucial suggestion, check this: crucial.jpg

• finlux

Hello Again!

RAM running at 1.5v is absolutely fine - all my sticks run at that too!

And as for Crucial - they've been around for a long, long time - I've been using/recommending them for over 10 years with NO PROBLEMS OR ISSUES WHATSOEVER! Their customer service is good too, so feel free to email/chat/phone them for advice. Just hover your mouse over the support tab & select "Contact us"

• IAMTHEGATEWAY

Should I understand that you are running the same type and model of laptop just as I do?                                          

"RAM running at 1.5v is absolutely fine - all my sticks run at that too!"

Because if you don't, I think it's irrelevant to make such a claim. There are thousands of types of modules which apparently are compatible, and practically they are not. And honestly, I wasn't arguing about crucial's long running time on the market, and how often you did or did not reccomend them. All I wished for was an able knowledgeable person that can communicate and inform me about compatibilities and incompatibilities issues. I myself was not pretending beeing a knowlege guru, because I am not one. I also do know how to hover my mouse over those links, but I was hoping until I get there, to find similar issues just like FAQ on many other forums or communities. And I said to myself, concerning a Gateway issue, who else is more than properly qualified to help, than Gateway official website, wich strangely enough, throwed the ball in someone elses field, as I found no help there now here I am in Nowhere's Land waiting for a miracle to happen,when all we are is marionettes on some dusty stages. , you tend to search for answers anywhere else. And I believe many times, you've got chances to find help somewhere  totally different than expected. So I might click some car manufacturers websites concerning my Gateway laptop issue.                 Thank you for being so nice and kind.   

• finlux

No, I'm not running the same laptop as you - I just gave you my opinion. Intel PC's usually run  RAM at 1.5v.

Well, I hope you find what you're looking for (!!)

• IAMTHEGATEWAY

If that's not obvious for you or anyone else, I am going to explain the pictures: first one(crucial) is the recommendations they made for my needs and I guess again that's obvious enough the voltage they've got is 1.35v and as you can see my other uploaded picture(CPU-Z) voltage values= 1.5v...   Well, if this is not an issue, please confront me of my misunderstandings.