I'm looking to replace/upgrade an older ACERPOWER-FH running Vista....

ZundapMan
ZundapMan Member Posts: 87 Die Hard WiFi Icon

My wife is threatening to throw her ACERPOWER-FH out the window because she claims it "keeps locking up."  The problem is not with the computer, but with the generation of operating system and Microsoft Office software it runs which cannot be upgraded under Vista.  I figure I can get her a new ATX form factor desktop that fits in her computer hutch and plug in the working Acer monitor I recently bought for her because the one I bought when the computer was new (a Samsung) died because the circuit the handles sleep/wake up had failed and the boards in it are too small and inaccessible for me to fix.

I need a "basic" office style desktop with some "guts" and at least Windows 7(x64) which is what I have on the other Acer in our study.  Ideally I would like to have as little trouble as possible dropping the new unit into our home network which has been certified at 10/100/1000 mbps and has a 1TB NAS connected via eSATA to a fairly high end router and from there to Comcast with typically around 60 mbps download and 12 mbps upload.  We keep our photo archives on the NAS, but she has never figured out how to set the permissions correctly when she uploads her stuff and when I do it for her the claims she "can't find it"  (problems caused by differences in the file security defaults in Vista, vs XP vs Win7+ which can be overcome if you know what you are doing)

Should I consider something like the Acer ATC-605-UB11 Intel Core i5-4440 8GB 1TB WiFi HDMI Windows 8.1 Desktop PC?  Should I consider sticking with a Windows 7 unit?