Something is wrong with the internal clock on my Extensa 5620. The date jumps 3-4 years on re-

Options
Gene2A
Gene2A Member Posts: 10 New User

-starting the computer each morning.  It use to be if I didn't use it for 2 to 3 days, now it seems to be every day.  How do I fix this?  Vista is the program.  Thank you for any help or solution.

Best Answer

• Phreakwars
    Phreakwars Member Posts: 17 New User
    Answer ✓
    Options

Sure can. You'll probably need a CR2032 battery, and can pick one up at most any Wal-Mart stores. The difficulty, is getting to it, which will require removing the keyboard and a few other screws.

Answers

• Phreakwars
    Options

I'm guessing your CMOS battery is probably going dead. The laptop was produced in 2008, so it's about 7 years old. It's not uncommon for this to happen.

• Gene2A
    Options

Phreakwars:

Can it be replaced?

• Phreakwars
    Answer ✓
    Options

Sure can. You'll probably need a CR2032 battery, and can pick one up at most any Wal-Mart stores. The difficulty, is getting to it, which will require removing the keyboard and a few other screws.

• Gene2A
    Options

Phreakwars:

Thanks for your help!     

Gene

• Gene2A
    Options

Phreakwars:

It just occurred to me that since an error message pops up when I try to synchronize the clock to internet time that something else besides/or in addition to the CMOS battery may be involved?

• Phreakwars
    Options

What is the error message you are getting?

• Gene2A
    Options

"An error occurred while Windows was synchronizing with  X  ."    X is all of the available time services: time.windows.com, time.nw.nist.com, time.a.nist.com and one other service.

Question:  if the CMOS battery is not replaced what other computer function would be lost besides the clock?

• Phreakwars
    Options

Interesting. Do you by chance have McAffee installed? That might be blocking your time sync. Another thing you can try is this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJL6geu7ovk

• Gene2A
    Options

The computer has always had Mcafee and it use to time sync fine.  I don't think I want to disable Mcafee just to test the time sync.

( Will check out for another 10 hours; its getting late in my time zone. )    Thanks again.