Question about upgrading hardware.

TemporaryUse89
TemporaryUse89 Member Posts: 5 New User

Greetings to the reader, I hope you are doing well.

Recently my laptop's temperature has increased and has shut off more due to that. I have cleaned the fan, the heatsink and applied thermal paste, but the problem occurs. I have searched that if cleaning does not halt the overheating, hardware failure could be the reason.

Upon learning that information, I wanted to ask and verify if I should purchase a new motherboard or only the processor (since the heat is mostly where the central processing unit is.) I have currently replaced the fan and the Random Accessed Memory (RAM), planning to purchase a new hard drive soon. I give my gratitude to whomever will respond.

Acer Extensa 4420-5963 is my laptop model.

Answers

• philetus
    philetus ACE Posts: 4,759 Pathfinder

Did you separate the fan from the heatsink? It gets clogged up between them and you can't really tell by looking in the exaust port.

download (1).jpg

• TemporaryUse89
    TemporaryUse89 Member Posts: 5 New User

I apologize for the late response, but yes I did. The situation is not occurring much currently, I now mostly have a problem with possibly the motherboard. I will turn the laptop on, then the drive would continuously make noise until the machine comes on (time duration of this varies, either five - ten minutes.) This began early this year.

If the reader has an answer why this happens, I will be immensely grateful.