Acer Extensa 5620 Upgrade OS from XP to Windows 8.1

bellaboo
bellaboo Member Posts: 3 New User
edited March 2023 in 2014 Archives

As XP runs out next week I need to upgrade my OS and want to know if I my machine can handle the upgrade to 8.1.  The Microsoft Upgrade assistant says I can and all my tech savvy friends say its ok but before I go ahead I just want to ensure I'm not going to encounter any significant issues that are going to be costly, seriously time consuming or frustrating!  Your advice or tips would be greatly appreciated. Smiley Happy

Best Answer

• finlux
    finlux ACE Posts: 1,834 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓

There's a good chance that the Windows 7 driver may work with Windows 8, but the only way to find out it to try it & see.

If there are any issues, you should get an error message informing you that the driver isn't compatible, or it may appear to install but just not work! If that is the case, then try IOBits Driver Booster Free - it might be able to find a compatible driver. If it doesn't, then you may have to forgo the card reader....!

Answers

• finlux

Hi bellaboo

If the upgrade assistant says it is compatible then that is half the battle!

I've checked support, and there are no Windows 8 drivers available for your model - although there are Windows 7 ones!

Firstly, backup everything. When upgrading from XP, you will loose all data, so backup to disk or hard drive. Insert your Windows 8 disk and follow all on screen instructions. There is a reasonable chance Windows 8 will work smoothly and Windows Update will find all required drivers. Or it may find some, but not others!

It is worth considering an upgrade to Windows 7 instead. Not only is it more like Windows you know & love, the drivers are available from Acer's support site. Just download them all to disk before you make the upgrade.

• bellaboo

Thanks for that Pioneer!  I've done the update to Windows 8 since and apart from an issue with formatting the partition (which I needed MS support for), all has gone smoothly so far. As you said, I have now realised there is an issue with the memory card reader.  It may be a dumb question but will the Windows 7 driver be compatible with windows 8 and if not, what potential problems will I face with the current reader and what solutions can I do?  Cheers! Smiley Happy

• finlux
    Answer ✓

There's a good chance that the Windows 7 driver may work with Windows 8, but the only way to find out it to try it & see.

If there are any issues, you should get an error message informing you that the driver isn't compatible, or it may appear to install but just not work! If that is the case, then try IOBits Driver Booster Free - it might be able to find a compatible driver. If it doesn't, then you may have to forgo the card reader....!

• bellaboo

Hi Pioneer!

I downloaded the driver for Windows 7 and its working a treat!  I also tried the Driver Boost Free and it has repaired the driver for my sound card!

Thanks for your advice Woman Very Happy

• finlux
    Hi Bellaboo!

That's great news, glad it worked for you!