hard disk replaced need to rebuild laptop

arnieboy
arnieboy Member Posts: 8 New User

Hi, I forgot to create any recovery disks for my E532 laptop and the hard disk has failed. I’ve bought a new hard disk thinking I could download a build disk from Microsoft and input the key for Windows. However I get no boot options at all, i.e. the bootable device list is blank. I have changed the boot order to no avail. I don’t want to have to buy recovery disks if possible so is there a way round please? It was Windows 8.1 when I bought the laptop and upgraded to W10.Thanks

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer

just follow these simple steps:

1. download the iso file of microsoft windows 10 (x64 if your PC has over 4GB of ram) http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10
    2. download Rufus, plug an USB flash drive and set Rufus as on the home page screen:https://rufus.akeo.ie/?locale=en_US
    3. click on the little disk icon on Rufus and point to the downloaded iso file
    4. let Rufus copy the installation files on USB flash drive
    5. reboot your PC
    6. plug the USB flash drive, press F12 at next boot and choose the USB flash drive as bootable device
    7. proceed with windows 10 installation and skip the product key request
    8. enjoy your windows 10 installation
    I'm not an Acer employee.
  • arnieboy

Thanks for the speedy reply. For step 2, as I have never done this before, am I downloading Rufus onto a flash drive and then setting a parameter of some sort? Thanks

• IronFly

Rufus must downloaded and run on PC with an USB flash drive (8GB will be good) plluged, so it will be able to create a bootable USB windows 10 installation media.

you just need to set it as on the Rufus main website page and follow my instructions.

• arnieboy

Hi, the first part worked fine thanks. I created a bootable usb flash drive. However, when I boot my laptop it says there are no bootable devices. I set the top boot device to be the usb fdd. Any ideas please?

• arnieboy

I have figured it out, I changed from a ufei to legacy boot....

• IronFly
    No, legacy is wrong.
    You need to re-install as UEFI and i never told you to change boot order but to press F12 and choose the USB flash drive as bootable device.

If it was not listed, you did something wrong on using Rufus.
  • arnieboy

Hi, odd as it's worked fine, my laptop is up and running. I do appreciate the advice, got me out of a hole. Regards

• IronFly
    You can run it as is but you are not using UEFI with its better security and hardware management.
    That's all