aspire e5-551g replaceing wireless adapter

sparked
sparked Member Posts: 24 New User
edited October 2023 in 2020 Archives

Hello,

After a long fought battle with being unable to reboot, it turned out that the Intel Ultimate-N 6300 was not a compatible card for the Acer Aspire E5-551G model I have. So, replacing the stock Atheros AR956x card resolved that, and after ensuring drivers are up to date and even applying the newly released Bios upgrade which was aimed at fixing connectivity with the Atheros cards shipped with these models, I'm still finding my connection is fickle and frequently plagued with latency spikes. Which while web browsing is only a minor irritation while attempting to play any game online where latency can be problematic it's horrid. So, I'm looking to again open this up and swap the card out for a better quality (preferably not an Atheros card as they do not even officially supply drivers for their cards to end users).

My question is, what are some known compatible cards (internal) for this laptop?

Answers

• IMYNHATEB
    IMYNHATEB Member Posts: 10 New User

Broadcom BCM43142 802.11b/g/n Wireless Network Adapter  (AR9462) This models works without problems, if you find replacement even after the last update BIOS, beauty is a little bit slower ))

• Boss6319
    Boss6319 Member Posts: 5 New User

Hi there.

I'm a bit of a noob when it comes to this so I have no clue what to do about this. I have the same model and same adapter, and i would like to change it over to a bettter one. The athernos doesn't work with my internet and i need to switch it over to a wireless 802.11n or better. I'm currently running windows 10.

I'm not sure what a BIOS is and I just need some help figuring out what to use and how to replace it.

Thanks 

• brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,104 Trailblazer

Could you please tell us which wi-fi card is in your laptop, Broadcom or Atheros? Do not attempt to update the BIOS, Have you tried updating your driver for your Wi-Fi from here:http://www.acer.com/ac/en/GB/content/drivers

• Boss6319
    Hi there

It's an Athernos Ar956X.
    I actually need to replace it because my organisation requires a computer without an Athernos card.
  • brummyfan2

I would suggest you to get Intel 6200 card and if you want AC capable card go for a Intel7260AC card. HTH.

• Boss6319
    So will that definitely work with the E5-551G model, bc I think I want to get an ac card but they are expensive and I want to make sure it'll work. Secondly where would be the best place to source this card, bc I'm not too sure if my local computer store sells them.
  • Boss6319

Also, I was just reading on the official specs of the card, and it said it was supported by windows 7 & 8 but it said nothing about windows 10. Are they forward compatible??

• brummyfan2

You can get windows 10 drivers and it should function, you can buy them on an internet auction site, used cards also can be used at a reduced price.

It looks like my Intel 7260 AC card in this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOI5QF0IGGw

• Boss6319

Thanks for your help

• Sikway
    Sikway Member Posts: 1 New User
    Please could you tell me if the Intel AX200NGW is compatible with an Acer Aspire E5-575G.
  • andylb
    andylb ACE Posts: 3,827 Pathfinder
    Sikway said:
    Please could you tell me if the Intel AX200NGW is compatible with an Acer Aspire E5-575G.

Can you please start a Topic of your own for your question and we will be glad to assist

Please click YES if I answered your question

I am not an ACER employee
    Thank you and have a blessed day  B)

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★