Windows Anniversary patch makes my touchpad laggy

joshua10796
joshua10796 Member Posts: 4 New User

My laptop is Aspire E14 E5-475G-30KY(1 week old), it automatically updates to the new Windows 10 "Anniversary" patch. That is when my touchpad lags, I think ELAN touchpad drivers stopped working because Windows 10 use their own HID-compliant touch pad that is OUTDATED, driver date 21/06/2006. I tried disabling HID-compliant and touchpad doesn't work(obviously), so I think that's the issue, but I don't know how do I fix this.

I already uninstalled ELAN drivers(touchpad works but still laggy just the same), reinstalled from my models driver site, and tried updating it to the latest 13.6.5.2 and it still lags from time to time.

I hope anyone can help me.

Answers

• Mary-Acer
    Mary-Acer Acer Crew Posts: 868 Acer Crew

You can try setting the touchpad settings in the BIOS to Basic instead of Advanced. You may lose some features but we've heard that doing this helps with touchpad issues that may occur after the Windows 10 update. 

• WilliamG
    WilliamG Member Posts: 29 New User

I've found the EXACT same thing with my new Aspire S5-371. Trackpad is just about unusable after the Windows 10 Anniversary update. Going into the BIOS and setting the trackpad to "Basic" does fix the issue, but this is NOT an acceptable solution since you lose multitouch, two-finger scrolling etc.

Is there a fix in the works for this? 

• starstudio
    starstudio Member Posts: 34 Enthusiast WiFi Icon

Hi Mary - Just wondering if this has been resolved yet... We have an E Series that has not had the Anniversay update installed yet (as it's used offline 98% of the time) and I'm wondering if it is safe to update now?

• joshua10796
    joshua10796 Member Posts: 4 New User

Well that's not useful as the BIOS setting-change to BASIC is not kind of fix I wanted. I just reverted my Windows 10 back to earlier build, and it works well. My question is, when will there be a fix for the Windows 10 Anniversary? I do want to get the Anniversary update for their new features but I don't want a buggy version of Windows.

• Acer-Jose would know more about that than me. I am not an Acer employee.

• thefowles1
    thefowles1 Member Posts: 7

Tinkerer

Eagerly awaiting an update to this situation...

• They had a update for Anniversary 1607 on the 20th. That seems to be the latest.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12387/windows-10-update-history

I installed it on a HDD on one laptop I have and it's pretty fast for a HDD.

I installed it last night on my primary laptop and it ran as slow as molassas.

This one is back to 8.1.

• thefowles1
    thefowles1 Member Posts: 7

Tinkerer

Do we know if this addresses the seemingly common touchpad issues plaguing Acer laptops? It also adversely affected my E5-575G-53VG, and staff member Acer-Jose has said in a few threads that they are aware of the issue and are looking into it.

http://community.acer.com/t5/E-and-M-Series-Laptops/Touchpad-doesn-t-work-after-Windows-10-Anniversary-update/td-p/449398

Edit: According to the link to the W10 anniversary update history, it appears neither the 9/20 nor the 9/13 updates mention anything about the touchpad. I think this is a case of the anniversary update touchpad drivers overriding/conflicting with the drivers provided by Acer; hopefully Acer will update theirs soon.