Random FPS drops on Acer Aspire E5-571 when plugged in

Options
kscjr
kscjr Member Posts: 3 New User

Hi,

So I've had this problem since I got this computer and haven't been able to solve it. Basically, when I am playing a game and my computer is plugged in, then my fps will randomly drop from around 60 to around 10. If I run off of battery power then I stay at 60 fps. This even occurs when the battery is disconnected and I am running only off the AC adaptor. I only experience these issues when playing games like Counter Strike or Dota 2 and not, for example, Undertale (which is much less intensive). It also does not occur when watching videos or browsing the internet.

I have tried changing the power plan settings, changing the maximum power management settings and upgrading the graphics drivers. I am running windows 10, but this problem still occurred before I updated from 8.1. Could it be an issue with my charger? One reason I think it might be is that it never displays the correct time untill fully charged (right now it says 01 minute untill fully charged, despite the fact I only have a 65% charge). I have also considered trying to update the BIOS (the current version/date is Insyde Corp. V1.09, 7/11/2014).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Best Answer

• philetus
    philetus ACE Posts: 4,759 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓
    Options

The current bios is 1.31 and there are 5 bios upgrades between you and that. That's a lot of change.  I would definately update the bios and if you don't have the latest grafics bios, that too..

I'm sure your  power settings for plugged in are the same as battery.

Go back to Processor power management and set both battery and power to 99%.

Answers

• philetus
    Options

Is this a E5-571G?

• kscjr
    Options

It's an E5-571-7776

• philetus
    Answer ✓
    Options

The current bios is 1.31 and there are 5 bios upgrades between you and that. That's a lot of change.  I would definately update the bios and if you don't have the latest grafics bios, that too..

I'm sure your  power settings for plugged in are the same as battery.

Go back to Processor power management and set both battery and power to 99%.

• kscjr
    Options

Updating the BIOS seems to have worked! I havent changed the Processor Power Management settings, but I tested in a deathmatch and had no FPS drop whatsoever. I wish I had thought to ask here sooner.

• philetus
    Options

I'm glad that helped you and I don't always spell graphics, "grafics". Do not spell when you're tired.