Problem with second hdd in sata optical socket

lmmail2004-uno
lmmail2004-uno Member Posts: 4 New User

Hello, I have an Acer E5-573.

I bought a caddy to add a second hdd in the free sata socket intended for the optical drive. Once I've plugged it the LED is on and I can hear the hdd spinning but the BIOS doesn't see the hdd. I know both the hdd and the caddy are working right becouse I've tested in a hp laptop with no problems.

I'd appreciate any indication to try to solve the problem.

Answers

• philetus
    philetus ACE Posts: 4,759 Pathfinder

Did you make a partition on the HDD and format it? It's not going to show up in bios in place of your C: system drive.

Go to Control Panel/Administrative tools/Computer Management/Disk Management and see if it shows up.

• lmmail2004-uno
    lmmail2004-uno Member Posts: 4 New User

Hello, I did try Control Panel/Administrative tools/Computer Management/Disk Management.

I also know the caddy and the hdd are ok becouse I tried them with a SATA-USB cable. When I plugged the caddy in the ODD socket, Windows 10 (Control Panel/Administrative tools/Computer Management/Disk Management) didn't show the new hdd but when I plugged the USB cable it showed up alright.

• philetus
    philetus ACE Posts: 4,759 Pathfinder

Look at Disk Drives in Device Manager and see if it shows the caddy ot the drive. It should show in device manager.

If it doesn't, it means your computer is not recognizing the caddy and through iy the SSD.

The caddy or the SSD may not be going all the way into the sata socket and not be making a good connection or the caddy socket adapter may be defective. Push them in firmly. Did you install everything with the computer off?

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-2312537/laptop-recognizing-ssd-located-optical-bay.html