My Aspire 1830 suddenly lost WiFi. Settings indicates it is on but it sees no available networks.

JGL77018
JGL77018 Member Posts: 7 New User

Aspire 1830 (is this right forum?)  During a vacation my laptop suddenly lost WiFi capability.  Settings shows WiFi is ON.  The WiFi light on the front of the laptop indicate WiFi is ON.  But when I try to connect to something the computer sees no available networks. 

This problem arose just about the time the new Windows 10 update 1607 was installed.  Are others reporting WiFi problems with this Windows update?

Networks are available because I can see them with my tablet.

Best Answer

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,330 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓

Sounds like a good guess to me! 8^) My guess is that the FnF3 combo was inadvertently keyed by busy fingers sometime during or around the time Win10 was installed. Seriously though, this particular toggle key combination can sometimes be handy if you want to stop or otherwise prevent an on-line process from starting. Please also note the other icons imprinted on the top row  F keys --- they also work in combination with the function key Fn to toggle other peripherals on an off, such as the speaker, touchpad, screen,  switch to an external monitor, etc. Good luck---Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

Answers

• Elkino2003
    Elkino2003 Member Posts: 68 Troubleshooter

I don't know why windows 10 is giving many users problems On WIFI.

This is what you can do

Try to restore your machine to an earlier date before the update

1. Press win+ r( at the same time)=run

Type this: rstrui

Press enter afterwards

Pls kindly let me know whatever happens.

• padgett
    padgett ACE Posts: 4,532 Pathfinder

Do you have the wifi icon in the tray ? If so right click on it and select "troubleshoot problems".

• JGL77018

I've done it ten times.  It never fixes the problem.

• JackE

Does Device Mgr show any errors or warnings? If so, which devices?

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• JGL77018

Device Manager shows all up to date.

I even went so far as to Reset it which took it back to a previous build.  No luck.  Unable to turn WiFi on.  It looks like I may have to do a clean install.  Fortunately I have few files to save in the laptop so little will be lost.

• JackE

Hold off on a clean install or anything as drastic right now. Go back to device manager. What hardware does it report for the network wifi card and its driver version/date?

Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

• JGL77018

It has an Atheros AR5B97 Wireless Network Adapter.  Driver version 3.0.2.181.  Date 3/12/15.

John

• JackE

2 questions. What happens to the wifi light and taskbar status the when you toggle the wifi card on and off with the Fn+F3 combo? Do you know where the 3.0.2.181 driver came from?

Jack E/NJ  

Jack E/NJ

• JGL77018

Where did it come from?  No idea.  I never paid any attention to it except to ocassionally check for updates on Device Manager.

Fn+F3 changes the WiFi light blue/orange/blue.  When it is orange, WiFi is working.  I can see available networks and sign in to my router.  I have no manual for the computer.  Is orange ON?

I've had ths computer for about 5 years and have never done FnF3 before.

• JackE

>>>Is orange ON?>>>

You askin' me? 8^) I think you might've solved the problem. Congrats!

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• JGL77018

OK.  But I'm still a little concerned about why I need FnF3 now and never have before.

Thanks to you all.

John

• JackE

Do you now have to toggle it on each time you boot up?

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• JGL77018

No.  WiFi came on when I started the computer this AM.  I guess I'll consider it cured.

John

• JackE
    Answer ✓

Sounds like a good guess to me! 8^) My guess is that the FnF3 combo was inadvertently keyed by busy fingers sometime during or around the time Win10 was installed. Seriously though, this particular toggle key combination can sometimes be handy if you want to stop or otherwise prevent an on-line process from starting. Please also note the other icons imprinted on the top row  F keys --- they also work in combination with the function key Fn to toggle other peripherals on an off, such as the speaker, touchpad, screen,  switch to an external monitor, etc. Good luck---Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

• padgett
    padgett ACE Posts: 4,532 Pathfinder

Blue: 3G

Orange: WiFi

Off : off