My Acer laptop is shutting down suddenly, even with lots of battery power left. What to do?

jimtlindsey
jimtlindsey Member Posts: 6 New User

My Acer E Series laptop has begun shutting down on its own, suddenly, even when there is plenty of battery power left. I'm completely baffled as to why this should be happening. Has this happened to anyone else? Anyone know what corrective action to take?

Answers

• philetus
    philetus ACE Posts: 4,759 Pathfinder

Sounds like the processor is getting hot and shutting down to protect itself.

Download this and monitor your temps.

http://www.techpowerup.com/realtemp/

• jimtlindsey

So, I am downloading and installing the monitor. But if it is heating up, then what do I do?

I should also say that when I plug in the laptop, it stays on and doesn't shut itself down.

• philetus

That would have been a good detail to include in your initial post. Unplug the laptop, remove the battery and hold the power button down for 30 seconds, or it you have a internal battery, unplug and find the tiny pinhole in the bottom. Gently press into the pinhole, with a paperclip, until you feel a click. Hold for 5 econds. Plug in and start. After it boots, plug in the battery and see if it still shows plenty of battery.

If it doesn't shut down on power and does on battery, the battery is probably bad.

• jimtlindsey

Yes, you're right. It would have been good to include. If I had remembered it. Thank you for being kind enough to remind me.

I sure hope it's not the battery. The machine just went out of warranty. Good timing, huh?

• philetus

You're welcome, but it was probably unnecessary. In my experience, things tend to break as soon as the warranty expires. E series is the most popular. Maybe you can find someone with a battery that would let you try it or a local computer shop.