M5-583p-9688 Converting from UEFI(GPT) to BIOS(MBR)

Options
benton582
benton582 Member Posts: 213 Enthusiast WiFi Icon

I'm trying to convert my UEFI to BIOS/MBR due to the fact that I need Setup 1.30 to boot correctly for a external Graphics Card. Here's the page for it provided with the software: file:///C:/Users/Benton/Desktop/NANDO4'S%20SETUP%201.30/DIYeGPU-Setup-130-install-TI.htm

I looked on google, and found this:

http://www.disk-partition.com/windows-10/convert-mbr-gpt-windows-10-0528.html (Look into AOMEI Partition Assistant Convert MBR/GPT in Windows 10 without Data Loss) 

Problem is, I have 6 partitions, which are labeled, and I do not wish to lose something important to my computer in the long run. So which do I delete? And then, what do I do first? Change all partitions to MBR then switch to BIOS to MBR? Or Switch BIOS to MBR then convert files? Because I'm concerned about having a locked computer running MBR files with UEFI and vice-versa.

IMG_20160401_210514103.jpg

Best Answer

Answers

• philetus
    philetus ACE Posts: 4,759 Pathfinder
    Options

Create a Recovery drive and you could wipe the HDD and then recover it to factory  configuration wirh the drive.

http://acer.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/38147/~/windows-10%3A-create-a-usb-recovery-drive-using-acer-care-center

Back up your personal data if you do wipe the drive.

If you clean installed Win 10 afterward, Win 10 will pick up your Windows key.

You will not be able to Recover in MBR.

• benton582
    Options

I already have everything booted up to the cloud just in case that is important. And I mean the way that I sent in the first post. I know to have recovery just in case and I do not mind a wipe. But I don't want to frantically go reinstall everything again. I just need to know, after I remove all recovery partitions, then convert most partitions to MBR, and then do I set BIOS to MBR, or set MBR first and then convert all partitions to MBR as well. I know how to operate the BIOS, but do not know which order to do it in so Windows can still be used even in MBR to then convert BIOS or partitions.

• philetus
    Options

Just one more thing about the USB drive Recovery. It's good you have everything booted up to the cloud, but ,say, one day you want to return the Laptop to Factory configuration, can you do that from the cloud? Recovery from a USB is just so easy and fast. OK, sorry, I'm a little **bleep** about making a Recovery drive. 

If you are going to remove the Recovery partitions, what other partitions do you need except C:? The easy way to do what you want is clean the drive, clean install Win 10  in MBR, and get everything set up.

• benton582
    Options

I completely agree with the Back up recovery, you are entirely correct on that, due to the fact things can go completely wrong with this. And I know the cloud can't magically make the recovery appear when you need it, much less boot it without a USB/Physical hardware.

The partitions aside from C: concerns me due to the fact that they are not only labeled, but possibly contain much needed options in a emergency. That's what I need to know, however, I now plan to setup the OS in MBR instead, instead of running a risk of running incompatbale UEFI to MBR. Thanks for your input. Also, good morning!

• philetus
    Options

Sure thing Benton, have a good Saturday and have fun.

• benton582
    Options

Once I boot Windows 10 in recovery, and set in MBR, can't I do the same USB thing to set it back to UEFI?

• philetus
    Options

If you have another computer, copy the USB to a folder and get the rest of your files.

• philetus
    Options

No, the recovery drive won't work in MBR. When you want to recover the laptop, set it to UEFI and boot to the drive.

• benton582
    Options

I have no idea how recovery works in acer, but all program files total less than 16GB, now around 8GB, and still requires a 32GB usb.

• philetus
    Options

Every Acer I've done asked for a 16GB drive.

• benton582
    Options

I'd be great if you have a "magic" link to a Windows 10 Acer ISO file for my computer. Or can I just get a windows 10 ISO?

• philetus
    Answer ✓
    Options

Nothing different in a Acer Windows 10 ISO. Here's a link to Windows 10 Media creation tool, Scroll down.

It will give you the option to save a ISO.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-au/software-download/windows10