Laptop doesn't turn on (dc jack, motherboard)

keylogia
keylogia Member Posts: 2 New User

2 weeks ago the hinges on my Acer Aspire E1-571 broke completely and i tried to fix them, however one screw was stuck and I had to apply pressure which broke a small part on the top case near the power button. The broken part was just plastic so I dont think i destroyed anything. After fixing the hinges, I reassembled the laptop but it didn't turn on at all. However it did turn on with the battery so I knew the problem was with the dc jack - one cord was cut. I had to buy a new one, which I got today but the laptop still doesnt turn on. This time even with the battery which is weird cause it did turn on with the battery and I havent touched the laptop since that time. Also I changed the thermal paste today- dont know if that matters.

By the way since I have 2 acer laptops and they use the same charger, to test the broken laptop I take the charger from the good one and after that the charger doesnt work on the good one too. I have to completely unplug it 2-3 times until it works again

Answers

• philetus
    philetus ACE Posts: 4,759 Pathfinder

It sounds like something is shorted out in the motherboard and when you plugged in the good charger, you were shorting that out too. If there is now something wrong with the charger and you use it on the good laptop, you stand a chance of destroying it's motherboard too.

• keylogia
    keylogia Member Posts: 2 New User

I tested the dc jack with a multimeter and it was working when it was not connected to the motherboard. However when i connected it to the MB, it was getting only 0.4 volts