Is it possible to replace eMMC SSD of an Aspire ES1-331 with a SATA-SSD?

SeventhGlobe
SeventhGlobe Member Posts: 1 New User

I'd like to know if it is possible to replace the eMMC flash storage (SK Hynix HBG4e) installed on the Acer Asprie ES1-331 with a SATAIII-SSD (like the 850 Evo or similar 7mm thick SSD).

I've read on this discussion that on the smaller ES1-111 "the header for the 2.5-inch drive bay has been removed", so it could be troublesome to do it on the ES1-331.

On the other hand it is possibile to do it with the ES1-311 version that comes with a 500GB HD, as shown here.

As any of you succeded in replacing the eMMC with a SSD?
If so, would I still have the expected read/write performances of the chosen SDD or it would be limited by the SATA interface version present on the ES1-331 or bottlenecked by the CPU or by other hardware components?

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer

if your model has only the 32GB SSD, the only way to know if it has a SATA connector is to open the back.

as far as i know your model has the SATA connector, it's on the right side of the motherboard.

just remember that you will always have the eMMC since it's soldered and can't be replaced.

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • agilulfo
    agilulfo Member Posts: 1 New User

I have a Aspire ES1-331-C9HQ and I have think upgrade this with a new SATA-SSD, on mainboard there is a slot SATA.