I have an Acer Aspire ES1-511 and it's plugged in but not charging.

Options
ACCER
ACCER Member Posts: 5 New User
edited October 2023 in 2020 Archives

I have an Acer Aspire ES1-511 and the orange charge light is blinking. If I unplug the AC Adapter, the laptop shuts down and wont turn on unless I plug it back in. When running on AC power, the battery icon in the taskbar reads 8% plugged in, not charging.

I have downloaded Battery Info View and it lists my battery at 92%, so it's almost new. Last night, I unplugged it and used the computer without issue until it reached 10%. Then the warning came on that my battery power was low. I used it a bit longer until it shut off. Then I plugged it back in and left it over night. This morning when I unplugged it to use it without AC power, it wouldn't turn on until it was plugged back into the AC power.

I've tried the uninstall of the driver thing and reset of the battery. There are no other issues that I am aware of with the computer.

If anyone has any ideas I would love to hear them.

Answers

• ACCER
    Options

In the event it matters, since I originally posted this on Friday, the battery meter is now reading "0% plugged in , not charging." So the battery is now completely depleted.

• brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,106 Trailblazer
    Options

It could be a faulty battery, if you are under warranty, get in touch with Acer support for a replacement battery.

• ACCER
    Options

Thanks for the reply. It's not under warranty any longer.

• brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,106 Trailblazer
    Options

There may be a micro switch on motherboard as well, I am not sure, did you open the back cover for any reason? Are there any screws at the back cover beside little battery icon? You can also take it to a local shop and let the tech person have a look.

• ACCER
    Options

A microswitch? There are 4 screws in the center of the back of the computer. I have never had any reason to bother them. The only thing I have done on the back of the computer is push the battery reset button.

• brummyfan2
    Options

Just ignore my post, I may have confused with another model, sorry.

• ACCER
    Options

Do you have any other ideas?

• brummyfan2
    Options

You could try replacing the battery, get a genuine one.

• rjh12123
    rjh12123 Member Posts: 4 New User
    Options

Had the same issue on my Aspire ES1-711 and tried every possible solution suggested around the web. Draining, recharging, and recalibrating the battery worked for me. Detailed method here: 

https://forums.tomsguide.com/threads/solution-laptop-plugged-in-not-charging-in-windows-7-8-10.460627/

Or here:

ALTERNATE SOLUTION - battery needs to be fully drained, then recharged, and thus recalibrated to the operating system.

I had this same issue on my Acer Aspire ES1-711 laptop with "non-removable battery" - system reported battery at "0% plugged in, not charging". However this proved to be a software/operating system issue and the battery was fine (I was still able to boot and operate Windows 8 with my AC adapter disconnected).

I tried every solution recommended on various forums from Acer to HP to Dell - most of which focused around uninstalling the "Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery" driver, disconnecting the battery, discharging residual power, rebooting, etc. My laptop's battery is "non-removable" so I even removed the bottom of the laptop case to inspect the battery and attempt solutions requiring battery removal (cable disconnect, rather than using the pinhole button on this laptop model). NONE OF THE COMMON SOLUTIONS WORKED FOR ME, though it's possible they played a role in part since I did attempt them first. I'll add a note about that at the end. 

WHAT WORKED FOR ME:
    - change power settings in Control Panel to not shutdown/sleep/hibernate on battery power, then set critical battery power shutdown to 5% so battery can nearly fully drain.
    - [OPTIONAL 2nd STEP] This might be the time to uninstall the Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery Driver in Device Manager - DO NOT SCAN FOR HARDWARE CHANGES AFTER DRIVER UNINSTALL COMPLETES
    - disconnect AC adapter - Windows might shutdown/sleep/hibernate immediately if it thinks your battery is low/critical, if so leave AC adapter disconnected then reboot and run on remaining battery power (even if meter reports 0% as mine did). If Windows did shutdown/sleep and you had to reboot, the Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery Driver may reinstall itself upon reboot. Check Device Manager to confirm it is still uninstalled or uninstall again if necessary. 
    - let battery discharge to 5% and Windows shutdown automatically. I recommend leaving it shutdown and disconnected from the AC adapter for an additional hour. 
    - reconnect the AC adapter and allow the battery to charge with the laptop still powered OFF for about 2 hours or until mostly charged. 
    - [SECONDARY ISSUE] At this point I actually booted to a BSOD with error code 0xc000021a and had to resolve that issue separately before I could boot to Windows normally to check on the battery issue. If you have this issue as well, my solution was to tap F8 at boot to get to the Start-up Recovery Menu, booted in Safe Mode, ran Command Prompt and scheduled Chkdsk c: /r for next boot, then rebooted. After chkdsk completed I was able to boot to Windows 8 normally.
    - Boot to Windows normally and the battery should now be charging and reading correctly in the system tray. 

As I mentioned, I had tried a variety of commonly suggested solutions before draining/charging/recalibrating my battery seemed to be the correct solution. Consider adding parts of those solutions to your method as well if you still have issues and are certain both your battery and AC adapter are not defective.

• GeekySimian
    GeekySimian Member Posts: 4 New User
    Options
    This worked for me with Windows 10 and a battery that died after 5 minutes. I replaced it and found the new battery died after 20, then the battery icon vanished from the task bar - followed the steps above and it is now charging normally.
This discussion has been closed.