How do I load windows on a new hard drive ? I have already downloaded all the drivers on to a USB.

arthurksh
arthurksh Member Posts: 6 New User

Acer E1-571 S/N :NXM09EA028**** SNID : ***

Due to a hard disk failure, I am trying to install Windows on another disk, but keep getting a message about drivers.

I have downloaded drivers from you website, but none are accepted by the computer.

Please tell me what I’m missing.

[edited for privacy-please do not post personal or unique information such as but not limited to full names, email addresses, phone numbers, full serial numbers, etc.]

Answers

• brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,089 Trailblazer

Hi,

Are you installing with Internet connection? Installation media has drivers and try without Internet, Windows installation will install the basic drivers, you can install the preferred drivers manually latter on.

• arthurksh

I first tried the standard Windows installation, was asked for drivers, so I downloaded these on another pc, copied them to a USB, and tried installing again. Obviously, no internet connection as I have no operating system on the laptop.

• brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,089 Trailblazer

Which version of Windows you are trying to install? What was the original OS?

• arthurksh

Windows 8  64bit is the original and that's what i tried to install. I later tried 32bit with the same result.

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer

that drivers request was during installation or first boot to desktop?

which kind of drivers is asking?

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • arthurksh

The request is just after the drive was formatted and before the actaul installation starts. It doesn't specify which drivers, and I spent a long time trying each driver that I had downloaded, every one was rejected as not being correct for the hardware. I tried a number of times, and downloaded the drivers twice in case they were corrupted.

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer

honestly the only drivers request can be about the HDD controller (chipset) but windows 8.x normally has it.

check on BIOS (press F2 at boot) if the SATA controller is set to AHCI.

yours windows 8 installation media is a vanilla or Acer recovery version?

if possible can you post a screenshot of the driver request?

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • arthurksh

I have tried changing the BIOS settings, but will try again.

Thanks, I will post the results, but will be away for a few days.