HELP!!! ACER M5-581T stuck in bootloop

ferd1971
ferd1971 Member Posts: 2 New User

Good morning/afternoon...I have run into the proverbal brick wall with trying to repair my ACER M5-581T laptop. When purchased it was running Windows 8.1 64 bit.  It was recently updated in October 2015 to Windows 10.  The original OS came preloaded on my laptop and I do not have any programs disks or recovery disks for the laptop

Just last Monday afternoon, I heard the HDD on my latop spinning around as if Microsoft was trying to download an upgrade.  That evening, I shut down the laptop...well, at least I thought I did.  The next morning, I opened up the screen to discover my laptop was stuck in a bootloop.  I have tried mulitple solutions, but they have all failed.

1.  alt-f10 - unable to get to erecovery

2.  attempted to boot computer from bootable ubuntu linix USB - no luck

3.  attempted to boot computer from bootable Windows 10 USB

a.  attempted to reset the pc/saving my files and without saving my files - get an error message saying the        drive where windows is installed is locked

b.  tried advanced settings - system restore - no luck

c.  tried advanced settings - system image recovery - no image recovery found

d.  tried advanced settings - startup repair - "startup repair couldn't repair your pc"

e.  tried going back to a previous build - no luck

f.  From the command promt, I have tried the following

1.  bootrec /fixmbr - completed successfully

2.  bootrec /fixboot - completed successfully

3.  bootrec /scanos - find OS (c:/windows)

4.  chkdsk - no problems found

5.  Ran diskpart

a.  list disk shows 2 disks...both online

b.  list volumes shows 7 volumes including the c: drive (primary HDD), a recovery partition, ESP      partition???, 2 partitions unlabled, a push button partition and the USB partition that I booted up to

4.  Ran Windows Memory diagnostics - said it found bad hardware - replaced memory

At this point, I am out of ideas.  I still think the problem is related to the boot partition.  I get to the ACER splash screen and then after that, it reboots. So I an wondering if the problem is with the ACER boot loader.  I am able to get into BIOS (F2) which is pretty much useless.  I am able to boot to an alternate device, but unable to get windows to start.  I am fairly close to formatting the drive and starting over, but wanted to try and recover my data files if possible.  I was able to recover some using the commmand prompt, but I am sure there are more.

Can anyone help?  

Thanks.

Answers

• philetus
    philetus ACE Posts: 4,759 Pathfinder

Have you given any thought that it might be a failed HDD?

Go to a command prompt and run chkdsk /f

• ferd1971
    ferd1971 Member Posts: 2 New User

I did consider the problem to be a failed HDD.  I was able to run the Windows Memory Diagnostic checker and it indicated there was a hardware failure.  I suspected it was the memory.  I installed new memory and no change....still in bootloop.  I then did a refresh and restore of the operating system...no change.  Still in a bootloop.  I then broke down and purchased an SSD.  Installed it and once again....no change stuck in a boot loop.  I'm starting to think my laptop is now an expensive boat anchor.  Smiley Sad