F5-571T - What's the deal with this model's power supply and plug? 5.5mm x 1.7mm or what???

DonPhillipe
DonPhillipe Member Posts: 13 New User

I have the Acer Laptop F5-571t.    I have tried every 19V power supply I own for a series of other Acer products and none of them work.   I even ordered a bag of DC 5.5x2.1mm Female to 5.5x1.7mm DC Plug Adapters to attempt to get a connector that exactly fits this F5 but all the laptop will do is detect the charger just as the plug goes in for a split second (brightening display) and then once the plug is seated, it goes to dim again and is no longer charging.    Now the original power supply works and from what I have seen the plug size Acer is using on this laptop is 5.5mm x 1.7mm.     I know I could order a backup power supply from Acer but I already have three 19V power supplies with the 5.5mm x 2.1mm for other Acer laptops that I no longer own, and I would like to use these old power supplies on the F5-571t

Answers

• laurent_14
    laurent_14 ACE Posts: 10,049 Trailblazer

Hello,

What is the power of the other AC adapters? The original one is 45W.

Is it the same polarity (+ - or - +)?

France
  • DonPhillipe

Spending several hours on this, I see "original Acer" branded power supplies being sold for this unit, everything from a 5.5mm x 2.1 mm (ha, ha) to a 3.0mm x 1.1mm (ha, ha).   I would guess this unit would use a 5.5mm x 1.5mm but it looks like I am going to have to wait until this can be verified.   Neither the 5.5 x 2.1 or the 5.5 x 1.7 I have tested work.

• DonPhillipe

Yes, the polarity is indeed the same.  The wattage is greater but I have never seen a laptop that will not accept a higher wattage power supply (however, this is the oddest Acer or laptop I have seen in some time with all it's quirks including missing battery component door).

There is something just odd about the connector itself.  For example using a 5.5mm x 1.7mm if I insert only the very tip, the laptop goes to adapter mode and starts charging.   The moment I slide it all the way in, the laptop drops back to battery mode like the adapter was not inserted.

• DonPhillipe

Still searching for the dimensions for the power plug that plugs into the F5-571T

• Hello,

The tip dimensions (mm): 1.7X5.5X11

France
  • DonPhillipe

I ordered this size previously from a seller on eBay and althought they seem to fit perfectly, half of them didn't work at all event thogh the DVOM on the end says 19V and the other half of the connectors, I have to hold down on them for the charger to be accepted and the keyboard light come on.   I ordered more from another manufacturer of this size just now and we'll see how they work out.   This laptop is extremely sensitive to anything but the exact size and of a specific made type, apparently.