E5-571G BIOS recovery

Options
Manu_b
Manu_b Member Posts: 2 New User

Hello there,

Some relatives came to me with a "bricked" E5-571G (black screen, will turn off after 5-6s). This happens after the computer went to sleep mode.

After some "usual" tests I've done some extensive searchs in google (maybe not extensive enought...) and found out that is some "common" issue (at least few others had the issue, not specific to this model).

I found some info about booting into recovery (FN+ESC) with the bios file on an USB stick.

The computer does react to FN+ESC (the fan is running full speed, and computer stays awake a bit longer, like ~10s), but the bios does not seem to flash... The usb stick flashes once, and computer just shutdown shortly after.

I'm missing two crucial information :

- format the USB stick with FAT or FAT32 ? (or something else ?). some say FAT, some say FAT32.. not sure this has a real impact in fact...

- what should be the filename of the BIOS file ? I found out on some othe threads for some other models that this is a key point, and the filename HAS TO BE set to something different than the "BDW.fd" from the downloaded BIOS package.

Before going to a Motherboard replacement, that would be a shame as it seems this one is "only" missing a proper bios to boot up, I would like to really try all possible solutions. (and considering I could not find an exact board replacement at reasonable price = less than 2/3 of the price of the laptop, even for used boards!)

thx.

Manu

Answers

• philetus
    Options

I downloaded the 1.32 bios file and extracted it. It does have a BDW.fd file. Try fat. Change the name of the file to

BIOS.fd

I don't think this will fix the problem. I would test the HDD first.

• Manu_b
    Manu_b Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

The HDD is fine (tested in another computer, all partitions are visible and system/data can be accessed).

Still no go using BIOS.fd.

I've ordered a replacement bios chip pre-programmed, and if it still fails it would be a M/B replacement I guess.