E1-572 won't go into sleep any longer

Options
BWKe1
BWKe1 Member Posts: 7 New User

My Acer E1-572 will no longer go into sleep mode properly. Instead, the screen turns off, but the laptop remains running, fans spinning as well. It doesn't matter what buttons I press, the only way to get the PC back on is to hold down the power button and turn it off that way, then turn it back on.

Best Answer

Answers

• JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder
    Options

I don't have your computer model but I know the bug.  I'm assuming you have Windows 10.  I haven't got it figured out either.  Hopefully someone will know more.  I've got a few more things to try.  And I've I tried a lot of things so far.

Did you happen to update the BIOS recently?  When did you first notice the problem?

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • BWKe1
    Options

Yes, I do have windows 10. I did update the BIOS to the most recent, but that was in an attempt to resolve the issue, it did not cause it.

• JordanB
    Options

Ok. Thanks for the info.  I'm going to work on it tomorrow night again. In the meantime, maybe someone know how to fix it or know the exact cause....and post it here. 

Check your event viewer log.  Unfortunately, I don't think you'll find anything there. 

• BWKe1
    Options

Yeah, nothing in Event Log really points to a cause. I've also re-formatted and re-installed Windows 10 in the past, and it hasn't fixed it.

• JordanB
    Options

No doubt this is a tricky one to figure out.  I'm just surprised that I haven't seen more reports of it.  Which leads me to think it's possible that you and I could be suffering from the same minor oversight. 

My procedure for tonight:

1. Install brand new SSD (with latest firmware) to replace factory HDD. 

2. Use factory default USB recovery drive to clean install windows 8.1 and all of included pre-installed software. 

3. Use Windows update to fully update Windows 8.1 (187 or so updates)

4.  Use Windows update to upgrade to Windows 10

5. Test with Windows 10 by only using the drivers that Windows update gives me during the upgrade process.  (I.e. not using drivers from Acer website). 

So so basically I'm trying to simulate how I think the average user would upgrade to Windows 10.  I'm only on step 2 so it probably won't be until tomorrow until see what happens with this particular experiment.  

There are some reports about the Intel Management Engine driver being a problem on some systems, but I haven't experimented with that yet.  I'll save that for the next experiments. I'm assuming you have i5 4200U or i5 4210U ?

• JordanB
    Options

This is just a sampling of a few posts that I found.....but I haven't thoroughly read through all of them to see if they apply to us or how similar they are to our bug. 

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-power/windows-10-laptop-freezes-when-i-enter-sleep-mode/4a09c3d0-2da5-4a12-b76a-73634de9da03?auth=1

• BWKe1
    Options

I have the 4200U. I would follow the same procedure as you, but I no longer have the recovery partition / USB from the default install. I did originally back it up, but the USB drive I had it on failed. So I've been installing from ISOs that are downloaded from Microsoft's media creation tool.

• JordanB
    Answer ✓
    Options

If your computer came pre-installed with Windows 8.1, you can start over with free vanilla Windows 8.1 and then get Windows 8.1 drivers from Acer Website. Then do all Windows 8.1 updates through Windows update.  Then install Windows 10 thru windows update (but don't install the Windows 10 drivers from Acer's website until after a few days of testing).  I don't think the Acer pre-installed software has anything to do with the problem.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/create-reset-refresh-media

Or if you want to try a shortcut Smiley Happy .....just install the driver below. Disable your internet connection first, because Windows update may try to quickly download and install the potentially problematic IMEI driver.  If you have the latest Windows 10 chipset driver from Acer's website, Windows update may override the older Intel Management Engine driver, so the shortcut that I'm suggesting may not work.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/23091/Intel-ME-9-Management-Engine-Driver-1-5M-for-Intel-NUC

IMEdrv.PNG

Of course you'd want to backup your important personal files before attempting anything above. Smiley Happy

And you always have the option to order your original factory software from Acer Store (but this option ain't free).

https://store.acer.com/en-us/extended/recovery/

http://store.acer.com/store/aceramer/html/pbPage.globalStoreSelector/ThemeID.35703000

So far, I'm not having any sleep/freezing/blank screen/fans running/forced shutdown problems.

• JordanB
    Options

I'm not moving real quick on this testing.  I'm going to eventually wipe the drive and clean install Windows 10 (like you did.....and get drivers from Acer website) and then try to disable the card reader too although I doubt that has anything to do with it, but you never know.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-power/windows-10-laptop-freezes-when-i-enter-sleep-mode/4a09c3d0-2da5-4a12-b76a-73634de9da03?page=2&auth=1

• BWKe1
    Options

I've forced windows to install the v9 driver downloaded from Intel's site. So far, no issues going into sleep mode, but I'm not going to call it fixed until I give it a few more days of testing.

• JordanB
    Options

Eventually, you may want Acer Care Center.  But wait a few days before you use the Acer Care Center driver updates.  When you get to the point where you want to try the Acer Care Center driver updates, only install one at a time....and then restart your computer.  Then test each driver for 24-48 hours (or more).  Start with the chipset driver first. If you already have the latest drivers....then disregard.

http://community.acer.com/t5/Acer-BYOC/Where-to-download-Acer-Care-Centre/m-p/396082#M59

• JordanB
    Options

If for some reason, after using Acer Care Center, your Intel Management Engine driver updates to the latest version, you may have to go back and force install the older Intel Management Engine driver again if it starts acting up.

• JordanB
    Options

I should also point out that your Windows 8.1 Intel Management Engine driver for your computer model is 9.5.14.1724.

That might be the better Intel management engine driver for your computer model.  I have no way of knowing for sure which Windows 8.1 MEI driver version you should use for Windows 10 since I don't have your computer model.

me572b.PNG

• JordanB
    Options

I'm about 90 percent sure I've figured out what my computer problem was.....which was probably unrelated to yours since I was already using the supposedly correct Intel Management Engine driver.

My computer worked perfectly for the last several days until I installed Google Chrome.  And the hangups returned.

I used an admin command prompt to prevent chrome from causing the sleep--blank screen-fans running- hangup--force shutdown problems.

https://techjourney.net/chrome-prevents-windows-from-going-into-sleep-standby-or-hibernation-mode/

I'm not done testing as there could be more to it with Microsoft Windows 10 communicating with my Google account.

• BWKe1
    Options

I'd like to say that it's my issue as well, but I use Firefox, not Google Chrome.

• JordanB
    Options

Are you still having problems?

i think your problem was due to clean installing vanilla Windows 10.  When you clean install vanilla Windows 10, it gives your computer model the wrong Intel Management Engine driver.  

If .1790 version is working good for you, you should be good to go. If you still have problems then use the Intel Management Engine driver from Acer downloads Windows 8.1 for your computer model. 

Or you can always go back and read my previous posts about wiping your drive and installing vanilla Windows 8.1, getting Windows 8.1 drivers from Acer downloads, and then updating to Windows 10 through Windows update. 

If you're still having problems, please post....and I'll look more in to it. 

• BWKe1
    Options

Nope, so far it's been going into sleep mode just fine after replacing the MEI driver.

• JordanB
    Options

Ok great.  I also went back to .1790 and that seems to fix it for me too.  It wasn't Google Chrome after all.