E-15 ES1-512-P18H Keyboard acting like Filter Keys is On when it's not

dbsb3233
dbsb3233 Member Posts: 2 New User

Having a really strange keyboard/typing issue.  When pressing the same key consecutively, there's a delay in it recognizing consecutive keypresses.  But only on the same key.  For instance, I can type "abcdefgh" and it works just fine.  "xyxyxyxy" works fine too.  But if I try to type "aaaaaaaa", I get maybe 2 or 3 a's out of it.  It's only when pressing the same key consecutively.  Happens on all keys, even the backspace key, or the arrow keys.  If I simply click the Windows key, then hit the down arrow multiple times, it only takes the 1st one and maybe every 2nd or 3rd thereafter.  It's like there's a delay hanging it up only when pressing the same key consecutively.  Pressing any different key works fine, unless I press that key consecutive times (not holding down for repeat, but actual consecutive presses).

This is only on the laptop keyboard.  If I plug in and use an external USB keyboard, it works just fine.  It also doesn't matter what program I'm typing into.  Does the thing anywhere - Notepad, Firefox, even the test typing box in the Control Panel keyboard settings.

I've checked may times to make sure Filter Keys are unchecked.  I've even reset the laptop to reload Windows (but saving data) and it didn't fix the problem.  I've also uninstalled the keyboard driver and let Windows 10 reinstall the driver again.  No luck.

Any ideas?

Answers

• Mary-Acer
    Mary-Acer Acer Crew Posts: 868 Acer Crew

It could be a hardware problem with the keyboard. You've done much of the troubleshooting we would have suggested. Assuming no liquid spill has occured, did it work in the past? Were there any changes made to the system just before this happened?

• dbsb3233
    dbsb3233 Member Posts: 2 New User

Sorry, I missed the reply to this until now.

Yes, it had worked for the first few months after purchasing the laptop.  Then suddenly it started doing this.  No spills or drops or anything like that with it.  I've since tried a full factory reset (erasing all files too) and it still does it.  I'm thinking it's probably a hardware problem too.

I just realized I only have about 5 days left before the 1-year warranty is up (purchase days was 12/2/2015).  I guess I better figure out what the warranty claim process is.

• Mary-Acer
    Mary-Acer Acer Crew Posts: 868 Acer Crew

The contact information to get warranty service is posted at 

http://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/service-contact