Does my m.2 ssd fit into msata slot?

zzmxj5
zzmxj5 Member Posts: 10 New User

I just ordered a Mushkin m.2 ssd. I thought I had an m.2 slot on my laptop but it looks like a msata slot. Will the m.2 sata ssd fit into msata slot?

I have a E5-575-51GG laptop.  

Best Answer

• zzmxj5
    Answer ✓

OOPS, did I misunderstand you? Are you saying my E5-575-51GG has an M.2 socket?

Answers

• laurent_14
    laurent_14 ACE Posts: 10,046 Trailblazer

Hello,

Hmmm... it's a M.2 slot on your motherboard.

France
  • zzmxj5

Hello,

No, my laptop motherboard has an msata socket. Does a M.2 ssd fit into a msata socket? 

• zzmxj5
    Answer ✓

OOPS, did I misunderstand you? Are you saying my E5-575-51GG has an M.2 socket?

• laurent_14
    laurent_14 ACE Posts: 10,046 Trailblazer

Yes!Smiley Very Happy I only have M.2 2280 SDD for this series. The slot is located near the memory slots.

About M.2 and mSATA (source: Kingston):

Spoiler

"Is an M.2 SSD the same as an mSATA SSD?

No, they are different; M.2 supports both SATA and PCIe storage interface options, while mSATA is SATA only. Physically, they look different and cannot be plugged into the same system connectors. The picture below shows an M.2 SSD and an mSATA SSD (you can see the connector is different, as are their card sizes):...

...M.2 2280 (above) compared to mSATA. Note the Keys (or notches) that will prevent them from being inserted into incompatible sockets."

France
  • zzmxj5

Thank you, I thought it was an msata slot, but I was wrong. It is an M.2 socket.I am ignorant about M.2 and trying to learn. It appears to be an M-keyed M.2. I have found lots of info and I think I will be ok with the   Mushkin Enhanced Atlas Vital M.2 2280 120GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) MKNSSDAV120GB-D8 that I bought. 

Thanks for your help.