Disabling tap-to-click

Options
pjw67
pjw67 Member Posts: 5 New User

Hi, I want to buy an Aspire E5-574 Windows 10, but I need to know if the tap-to-click setting can be disabled. I have just returned an Aspire f15 to Currys because there was no option to do this (even though the sales rep said it could be) Thank you.

Answers

• philetus
    philetus ACE Posts: 4,759 Pathfinder
    Options

It has a Elan or Synaptic touchpad. Either one will have the ability to disable clicks. Windows 10 may interfere with either one's ability to do it. I didn't find any posts about E574 touchpad, Windows 10, touchpad problems though.

Just problems in Ubuntu. If you're buying from a store, ask a salesman to show that it works.

• pjw67
    Options

Thanks. There was nothing there on the Aspire F15. Even after downloading the drivers, they never showed up in mouse properties.

• Moresby
    Moresby Member Posts: 29 New User
    Options

The ability to disable tap to click is in settings in Windows 10 under touchpad.  Not in mouse properties.

• pjw67
    Options

Thanks for the reply. There was no touchpad option either. I was with Currys tech support for 45 minutes, after which the advisor said there was no way to disable it. Thank you very much though, nobody at Acer Support has given me any help at all. They don't even understand the question.

• Moresby
    Options

It should be accessible this way

Windows button > settings > devices > mouse and touchpad

That should take you to the controls for your touchpad.  What do you see when you get there?

• pjw67
    Options

I returned the F15 as tech support said it could not be disabled. I haven't bought the E5-574 yet because I didn't want to go through the same thing. Thanks again for the help. It's unlikely I'll be buying an Acer though, they've been no help at all. They say they can't help without the serial number (but I haven't bought it yet) Am stuck in a loop. All the best.

• Moresby
    Options

Sorry you're going through that.  Customer service isn't great anywhere these days.

Personally, I really like the Acer laptops.  But they're not the only game in town.  There are plenty of other wonderful laptops out there in a range of prices and configurations.

And 99.9% of them will allow you to disable tap-to-click.

• pjw67
    Options

I know. I've had two Acer laptops and were both fine. After downloading the drivers and nothing showed up, the tech support from Curry's said there was nothing to be done. Maybe I was just unlucky. Thanks again.

• Moresby
    Options

Sorry you're going through that.  Customer service isn't great anywhere these days.

Personally, I really like the Acer laptops.  But they're not the only game in town.  There are plenty of other wonderful laptops out there in a range of prices and configurations.

And 99.9% of them will allow you to disable tap-to-click.

Good luck!