Dead USB Ports on my ES1-512 Laptop

invergordon
invergordon Member Posts: 1 New User

Last week the two USB ports (1 x USB3.0 and 1xUSB2.0) appeared to stop functioning.  I had my wireless mouse and keyboard transceiver plugged into the USB3.0 port and after removing it to take my laptop away from the office and then returning and plugging the transceiver back in the port(s) didn't work.  I did notice when I started the laptop that it did continue a Windows update.  I have subsequently removed the update but the ports still did not work.

I changed the battery in the mouse but that didn't help.  I then moved the transceiver to the USB2.0 port but that appeared dead as well.  Moving the transceiver to the left hand side USB2.0 port showed that there was nothing wrong with the transceiver and indeed a check of a USB stick also in that port showed the same behaviour namely, the two ports at the rear wouldn't work but the left hand side port would function normally.

I have disabled and uninstalled the USB Host Controllers in the Device Manager (Windows 10) and restarted the laptop but nothing there helped.

Last night I reset the Windows 10 OS using the Win10 recovery option and that hasn't helped anyting really, except...... when I plugged in a USB 1TB Western Digital disk drive to either of the rear ports Windows 10 recognised this and showed me all the drives that I had created!  But when I swapped it out for a mouse/keyboard transceiver or other USB peripheral the system didn't recognise it.

Before I return the laptop under warranty, does anyone know what might be causing this?