Can't install Windows 10 from USB, after DD failed.

Options
YouMakeItHarder
YouMakeItHarder Member Posts: 1 New User

I'm on E5-773G.

(short version of the story)

I'm using Kubuntu in BIOS Legacy State as this was the only way I could see USB option in Boot Menu (F12). And it was the only way I could install Kubuntu from USB, from boot. I "burned" USB using OEM Windows 10 and told Kubuntu to take entire disk (effectively wiping out all bloatware).

If I enable BIOS UEFI mode, I see "No Bootable Device" icon because Linux and UEFI don't like one another(?), and already mentioned, list of bootable devices disappear (In Legacy Mode, there are 5 positions, HDD, USB, network etc., in UEFI mode, nothing, empty list).

I ran: dd bs=4M if=/path/to/win10.iso of=/dev/sdx && sync
with correct path and correct USB and it didn't work. While booting screen flickered couple times and the only thing I saw was Kubuntu's logo and it booting up. WinUSB is not a choice since it's seemingly offline, unetBootin never worked. I'm not aware of any such easy tools.

I don't know what to do, is it possible to install Windows 10 on Legacy BIOS from USB on Linux?

Any ideas? How can I successfully "burn" USB, boot it and actually install it?

Currently my computer is in Legacy BIOS mode, with enablable UEFI mode with Secure Boot disabled.

After dd I can easily reformat my USB (which means it's not hardware failure) and reuse it. Could someone knowledgable guide me? The DD does copy contents on the drive, 

I have two iso's actually, one from Windows 10 and one from Windows 7 (oldie but goodie).

I don't know what to do. It seems that Acer is one of those company to dodge entirely ever since you make lives of people harder than they should be. In every, single, normal, computer when you put in USB and select "boot from USB", guess what, it boots from USB, but Acer's like "nah, go screw yourself".

(don't tell me that it's issue of Linux, Linux with DD always installed operating systems on the USBs and it never failed on any other computer, it's Acer's flashware that messes it all up).

So, to sum it up. I'm on Kubuntu, I have USB 3.0, I have Windows 10 ISO, I need to install that ISO the way that your laptop will understand it, boot it, and install it. How? It's not issue of USB, it's not issue of Linux, it's not issue of Windows ISO, it's not issue of Windows Booting kernel, everything works everything else, except this laptop.

Answers