Brand New E5 Struggling with 100% HDD Utilization

MIKEPEPSI
MIKEPEPSI Member Posts: 8

Tinkerer

edited August 2023 in 2019 Archives

Hi all,

Just bought my new Acer E5-737G-525G, it's an

i5-6200u core, with 8gb of ram, and a 940M card, a tidy piece of kit that shouldn't in theory be subject to any system lag or slowdowns.

However, this is the SECOND laptop i recieved after the other one went back due to sluggish initial performance and me assuming that this was due to a drive issue.

However, it seems like this one is having the same sort of issues. Consistent spiking for long periods to 100% HDD utilization and it takes an age to start up and the icons "page" in after you've started Windows.

Can't say im super satisfied with the performance. I am not sure what i should do, if this is a reach out to Acer affair or just fix it myself. 

Both RAM and CPU are hardly being maxed if at all, whilst the drive is usually at 100%ish and i can see visible lag on my performance as a result.

Please help! I dont wanna have to buy an SSD quite yet lol

Answers

• F5-572G-595M
    F5-572G-595M Member Posts: 16 Troubleshooter

Check in task manager in the "Disk" column. What is causing the 100% disk usage? is it windows defender? If it is, then get rid of it - Turn it off.

If its MacAfee, GET RID OF THAT ABSOLUTE PEICE OF JUNK

I believe your laptop has a Western Digital WD10JPVX Hard drive, just like my laptop had. Oh, waht a horror McAfee was to that poor hard drive.

• MIKEPEPSI

Tinkerer

It does have that hard drive. Any advice on if i should update it to an SSD?

And it seems to be windows processes. Id disabled defender and McAfee

So its not them.

Performance in general is not amazing for an i5-6200u so im guessing its to do with the HDD.

• MIKEPEPSI

Tinkerer

So guys, can someone - preferably acer- let me know if expecting a 1 minute + Boot time and then seeing this and sluggishness at Boot is normal? Ie icons are paging in and refreshing at boot. 

I mean, is this a bottlneck issue with the poor quality hard-drive or is this something that is out of the ordinary. As you can see Google Chrome is a memory hog.

This is the second unit of this model which I have experienced this with now, so i am thinking it is inherently an issue with the model rather than anything else.

I have a Zenbook at work with much less memory, a less competent processor and an SSD and it goes like lightning compared to this Acer. I am seriously considering what my course of action should be.

High Utilization issue.PNG

• F5-572G-595M

Aah, yes that is so annonying. I've had those errors with my laptop when I had a HDD. Maybe disable the pagefile.

I would recommend upgrading to a SSD. Your computer will be virtually silent. No clatter with the HDD.

I would recommend the Crucial BX200 for a cheap SSD. If you want a high performing one, The Samsung 850 Pro or Evo SSD. Since I don't think your laptop has another SATA port, you'd better get a SSD, and buy a SATA to USB connector for your old Hard Drive

MOstly the Boot up time depends on the HDD. I get 15 seconds boot on Fast-Startup on my WD10JPVX. 1 minute boot time is DEFINITELY not normal. Make sure Hibernate is enabled, and that Fast-Startup is on. Restart on my acer is 30 Seconds on my old WD10JPVX. PLus from the screenshot I can see that Windows Defender is not turned off.

Turn OFF Windows defender for good: http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/5918-windows-defender-turn-off-windows-10-a.html

Speeding up boot times: http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-2116438/speed-boot-readyboot-readyboost.html

Disable ALL non-microsoft service entries in msconfig, and disable all items on startup in Task Manager.

• MIKEPEPSI

Tinkerer

Thanks for your help.

Isnt a 15 second boot time more indicative of an SSD drive?

mines takes around 30 seconds to go from the Acer screen to the windows login screen, then another 15ish to get loading windows.

is that fairly typical?

• MIKEPEPSI

Tinkerer

I should add that this is exactly the same as the performance of the first unit i had of this model, the E17 773G 525G

I'm not sure how to proceed because its obvious that there is some issue with these units causing high disk utilization and slow boot ups, but im not sure what the problem actually is.

• F5-572G-595M

It is easy to get 10 seconds from a WD10JPVX. You just need some optimization.

You see, I had Fast-Startup turned on. Windows 8 and above have that technology, meaning that it, instead of properly shutting down, signs out the user and puts the computer to hibernate. IT is then turned "off". When you power back on, it basically gets out of hibernate - Far faster than starting properly again.

Let me get this clear. All my times are from pressing the power button to desktop. Automatic login.

HDD with Fast-Startup: 10-20 seconds

HDD with No Fast startupp (Cold boot) 30-50 seconds

SSD with Fast-Startup: 7 seconds

SSD without fast startup: 12 seconds.

In answer of your question, no, it is not typical at all. There is something wrong with your windows installation. Either you have installed 3rd party software that messes with hibernation, or you have fast-boot turned off/fast-boot is not working.

From your description, 30 seconds from the "Acer Explore Beyong Limits" screen, it seems like:

a)Fast Startup is turned OFF. Control Panel\Hardware and Sound\Power Options, and click on the thing on the side that says "Choose what the power buttons do". Scroll down, check "Turn on fast-Startup (Recommended)"

b)Fast Startup is corrupted/Hibernate is not functionalling properly. To fix this: go to Control Panel\Hardware and Sound\Power Options, and click on the thing on the side that says "Choose what the power buttons do". Scroll down, and UNcheck "Turn on fast-Startup (Recommended)" Reboot. THen run command prompt with administrative priveleges, and type: "powercfg -h off" without the quotes Press enter. Reboot. Run command prompt with administrative priveleges, and type "Powercfg -h on". Press enter. Type: "powercfg -h size 100" Reboot. Turn FastBoot back on

c) Reinstall Windows.

It is unfortunate that you are experiencing these problems with acer. I've had this problem too. If it is under warranty, get it fixed. Or return it and get another laptop. I've always loved the design of acer Aspire line of laptops - I've had two now - ONe an Aspire E5-571PG, now its an F5-572G.

BTW, I'm in no way a acer employee, I'm just a regular school student who likes computers Smiley Happy

• MIKEPEPSI

Tinkerer

Hey there,

So i took your advice, and I have also enabled automatic login

What really helped was actually setting my account to be LOCAL rather than a microsoft login account. My boot time has halved from 1 minute 15 to around 25-30 seconds now.

What i have noticed though is that there is sluggishness on general windows usage. Is this down to the slow hard drive? THe CPU and Memory utilization is very rarely high - but the disk drive utilization is always high. 

I mean when booting apps and stuff it seems fine, (Photoshop - 10 seconds bootup, Chrome 3-5 Seconds but laggy)but its when i want to go into system functions it can be on the slow side.

I am still within warranty, but i figured since the last one of these i took back had the same issues, that it must be a hardware configuration issue with this model across the line. I am not sure if i should return the unit to the retailer and invest in another manufacturer - albeit at a higher cost. 

• F5-572G-595M

Local account did help for me, at least temporarily. Try deleting your Microsoft Account from your laptop, then recreate the Microsoft Account. 25-30 seconds seems still pretty excessive... if your talking about Fast-Startup. But if its a reboot time, its really fast!

I'd say this is a slow hard drive. the WD10JPVX isn't very high performing. The i7 is really good, and I don't think any amount of RAM will help your Hard Drive performance.

Yes, I know how you feel. TO me, it seems that acer just plonks hardware in a case with no optimization whatsoever - The system doesn't run at its proper protential.

What do you mean by "System Functions"?

• Captain_WD
    Captain_WD Member Posts: 39 New User

Hi there MIKEPEPSI Smiley Happy

Did you try checking your Resource Manager when in Task Manager with the system processes to see if there's something hidden that takes up the HDD's performance? It may be an update utility, defragmentation or anti-malware software that uses it. Also indexing uses the HDD quite a lot, but shouldn't be a problem in this case. Have you checked the health of the drive? I would try running WD Data Lifeguard Diagnostic tool and see if the drive passes both the quick and the extended tests.  

Also checking the S.M.A.R.T. raw values can give you some detailed info regarding its condition.

Captain_WD.

• colink2
    colink2 Member Posts: 3 New User
    This an old thread, but I have had same issues with similar model  ES1-571-P1VN

Nearly always 100% disc usage or close to 100% from new.

I more or less gave up on this computer, but came back to it to day as another computer failed.

I have went through several things to reduce resources that worked on other computers - still little difference, even after doing all Windows updates and waiting for computer to do all background updates.

Acer - what are your solutions for this? It is either poor configuration fo windows form the factory or bad hardware or both.

ColinK2