Battery Longevity

Options
Pawla
Pawla Member Posts: 1 New User

Recently purchased the E5-774G-582T Aspire E 17 Laptop. I am going to use it everyday for 10 hours straight gaming. It has a built in battery that can not be removed. What are the best ways to make use and keep it's lifespan for the best of years/months to come? Also, is it better if I just keep it plugged in while I play? I usually take it out of the plug once I have finished.

Things I have already done:
-reduce brightness all the way down to the first dim setting -keep a fan beside it to keep it cool as I have heard heat plays a big part of killing the battery -set backround to black and desktop bar to black instead of transparent -muted audio so sound is off

Negatives that I've done: - Connected a keyboard and mouse (Drains battery) - set it to highest performance as opposed to using battery saver - use it for 10hours a day while plugged in <- Not too sure if this is better or worst for the laptop

Answers

• brummyfan2
    Options

Hi,

If you are concerened about battery life, you could try calibration but I don't normally bother to do anything about it as most of the batteries will last a good 3 or 4 years without any maintenance and by that time there will be a new shiny model in the market. However, your needs may differ from mine, so you can calibrate the battery at a regular interval :http://www.howtogeek.com/172271/how-to-calibrate-your-laptops-battery-for-accurate-battery-life-estimates/

• 2unz
    2unz Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options

I believe there is a battery reset pinhole on the back that simulates removing and reinstalling the battery (noticed it in the manual). I would think that if you're using the PC with it being plugged in and simulate turning off the battery that it would save your battery life. Similar to having a removal battery pulled out while plugged in.

I'm hoping it works that way because the battery will die quickly if always in use. For a 17" laptop, you're not carrying it around much and mostly plugged in.

Just received my PC today and haven't had a chance to try it yet, but others might know more.

• brummyfan2
    Options

I don't think you need to use the reset button very often, you also don't need to worry about the battery overcharging, I have used the AC adapter connected while battery was inside for a long period(6-7yrs) and never had any problems, I think there's a cut out mechanism built in which stops overcharging.