BIOS update precaution

Options
F5-572G-595M
F5-572G-595M Member Posts: 16 Troubleshooter

Hi acer community

So I have an Acer Aspire F5-572G-595M, and I want to update the BIOS to version 1.13. I'm a little nervous to do this. Why? Because:

1. It says on the description page "2.Update EC V2.6 to improve game performance on GT3e CPU." There is no such thing as GT3e CPU - GT3e is a GPU for Broardwell (5th generation core i processors)

2. I DO NOT  have a 5th generation Core i processor. My CPU is 6th generation core i5-6200U

3. In the "README" file, it says "Click "ZRW_113.exe" under Winodows mode" This makes me REALLY nervous about the coder, because "Winodows" is a typo, most often happening in rushed conditions. Maybe the coding was not properly written, and that it may cause a brick to my laptop.

4. I am VERY suspicious about the contents of the BIOS update - There is no .rom file or .fd or .bin file. The files are: xerces-c_2_7.dll     platform.ini     iscflashx64.sys     iscflashx64.dll     H2OFFT-Wx64.exe     FlsHook.exe     Ding.wav     BiosImageProcx64.dll.                                  My old laptop - Acer Aspire E5-571G-524H had all those files AND a 'BDW.fd' Why doesn't my BIOS file have it too?

Is it safe to update? Based on the rather incorrect description, I'm guessing its raising the clock of the HD 520 from 950MHz max to 1000MHz or 1050MHz?

I would also like to know why acer hasn't included a "F" series in the "Select Location" menu - I have an Aspire F5, but there is only a column for Aspire E5 and M5.

Thanks for your help in advance

Best Answer

• philetus
    philetus ACE Posts: 4,759 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓
    Options

I upgrade the bios on all my computers and every one I work on. I make sure the battery is full, the power is plugged in and cross my fingers. Many bios updates later, i'm still lucky.

You can try Universal Bios Backup toolkit, but I don't know if it works on a Insyde/phoenix hybrid bios.

Answers

• philetus
    Options

The newer Insyde 2,0 bios doesn't have any ROM, fd,bin files that any amount of extracting every file in the bios will uncover. Don't worry about that.

Some F5-572g are running processors that do support  GT3e, like the i7-6500U. It sounds like this bios update is for them. 

• F5-572G-595M
    Options

So that means I *should* be able to safely update the BIOS? Even if the BIOS was supposed to deal with the i7-6600U?

How safe is updating a BIOS WITHIN Windows that does not have any kind of backup? How could I restore the BIOS if power happens to be cut off?

• philetus
    Answer ✓
    Options

I upgrade the bios on all my computers and every one I work on. I make sure the battery is full, the power is plugged in and cross my fingers. Many bios updates later, i'm still lucky.

You can try Universal Bios Backup toolkit, but I don't know if it works on a Insyde/phoenix hybrid bios.

• F5-572G-595M
    Options

Univeral BIOS backup toolkit doesn't work on my laptop.

Just a question: If I download the correct BIOS file, Triple check for any background tasks, and have the battery full, as well as the charger hooked up to a uninteruptable Power Supply, what is the chance of a BIOS update failure?

• philetus
    Options

As long as it is the correct bios, it seems to me the chance of failure will be very slim. Power failure is the biggest threat and you'll have a full battery.

• F5-572G-595M
    Options

OK thank you very much for your help - I will research a little more. I keep on hearing BIOS failures and maybe I'm getting paranoid...