Aspire ES1-131 boot priority list changes

ploddit
ploddit Member Posts: 3 New User

This is a six month old Aspire Es1-131-C4XR,  Manu date 2015/05, first ten of serial: NXMYGEF003.

This is the model with only a 32Gb EMMC which is (apparently) a flash drive style memory intergrated on the motherboard it's running on 8.1.  According to the owner this has been happening since new.

When the laptop has been left for a while it boots fine in the BIOS - Insydeh20 v5.0 - it shows boot priority order as:

BIOS-boot.JPG

in the information screen the EMMC is seen

BIOS-Infomodded.jpg

Excuse Paint skilzzzz

But then sometimes it decides not to boot, the BIOS info screen cant see the EMMC and the boor order is all wrong.

BadBIOS-infomodded.jpg

BadBIOS-boot.JPG

The first thing I did was update from BIOS 1.17 to the latest available 1.22 - no change.  This would normally be treated as a hardware failure, but the fact it's not consistent makes me wonder. Pressing the battery disconnect button underneath doesn't change anything. The fact that the boot priority changes more than I would of thought for nopy seeing the EMMC from having 6 to 7 items?

The first time I saw it was when it had switched off into no EMMC/no boot mode was during an update restart.

Speaking to the owner and from my own experience if you leave the laptop overnight next day it boots fine.

I am assuming trying to repair or reinstall (would a USB flash drive work on the USB HDD option?) windows 8.1 or 10 which I have a USB install for wouldn't change the bios as in desktop PCs or in this little one does the BIOS system store or install differently not using a ROM chip?

Thank you for reading and in anticipation of any replies.

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer

Call Acer support service and have it serviced, this is an hardware failure.

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • ploddit

Thank you for your reply - are you sure on this, have you seen it before?

Iwould agree with you totally apart from the fact it works after a certain down time.

• IronFly
    Can be 2 things:
    1) a cold solder on eMMC or bad capacitor, so hardware failure on motherboard;
    2) BIOS issue

Honestly this is the first time i see this issue and if it was a BIOS issue, i think other users had already reported.
  • ploddit

I am in communication with Acer, but it's pretty useless they suggest things that I've already tried or that jkust plain don't work, their latest suggestion was ALT f10 to refresh/reinstall, I've never got it to boot to the ecovery screen using ALT F10 either when its seeing the EMMC or not.

I am convinced its a Bios issue as every single time the laptop is left overnight of longer its boots, if less no boot...  Its like after a certain time the BIOS resets to correct settings.

• IronFly
    Call Acer support again.