[Aspire E5-573G] Can't install new MS Wireless Mouse 3500

Options
given2fli
given2fli Member Posts: 1 New User

I have two notebooks: an Acer Aspire V5-171-6675 that shipped with Windows 8 x64 (and upgraded to Win 8.1), and a newer Acer Aspire E5-573G that shipped with Windows 10 x64. They were both upgraded to the Win 10 Fall 2015 Upgrade/Threhold 2, and then all subsequent Microsoft updates. Both notebooks have functioning tracpads, but I have been using older/circa Win 7/8-ish Microsoft Wireless Mouse 3500 (Blue Track) with them. These older mice are both wearing out--the side vinyl/rubber grip is unglueing on one, and the wheel button is failing on the other-so I purchased two new mice: the Win 10-compatible versions of the Wireless Mouse 3500 and the Wireless Mouse 4000. Both these new mice work perfectly on the Aspire V5 notebook; I just plugged in the new USB transceiver and they worked.

However, neither the new Win 10-compatible Wireless Mouse 3500 nor Wireless Mouse 4000 mouse work on the newer Aspire E5 notebook. Windows apparently detects the new USB transceiver (as "Microsoft Nano Transceiver v1.0" in Device Manager) but fails to install the driver:

Windows found driver software for your device but encountered an error while attempting to install it.

Microsoft Mouse and Keyboard Detection Driver (USB)
This operation requires an interactive window station.

I've tried numerous attempts to install a driver manually, but they all fail. I uninstalled all of the Elan touchpad software, installing a generic HID-complaint mouse driver for the touchpad (which still works), but still neither new transceiver installs. I disabled the touchpad entirely in the BIOS, but still neither new transceiver installs. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the Microsoft Mouse and Keyboard Center software, but still neither new transceiver installs. However, I can still plug either of the old Win 7/8-ish Microsoft Wireless Mouse 3500 transceivers into this notebook, and it installs and works just like it always has.

Any ideas on what to try next?