Aspire E5-571G-5890 BIOS MULTI HDD BOOT

p_milenov
p_milenov Member Posts: 3 New User

Hello, ACER Smiley Happy

i'm very dissapointed that my laptop bios does not support my new HDD Caddy. Sometimes it show as UNKNOWN and can not boot, sometimes it does not even show.... This some kind of bad luck or your devs can just make some BIOS updates to have perfect acer bios.

I will be very happy if you answer me asap

Thank You

Petar Milenov

Answers

• benton582
    benton582 Member Posts: 213 Enthusiast WiFi Icon

One question, what is this HDD caddy? and where are you trying to place it in? The CD drive? Also, it is not easy to create a BIOS for 1000+ diffrent laptops. Please calm down.

• p_milenov

Hello,

HDD Caddy is made in china, i've even open it but there not so much parts inside to tell mark/model etc.

Is there anyway to make BIOS to have always to show (give a choive from witch HDD to boot), or i don't really know.

Then i bring back the DVD drive it is recognized.

I've also try to input the caddy with hdd, start OS (win) in my case and run bios update, after first reboot the caddy is recognize as UNKNOWN but still can't boot. After one more reboot there is no more options. Only first HDD is available.

My caddy look like this one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2nd-SSD-HDD-Caddy-Adapter-for-Acer-Aspire-E5-571-E5-571G-E5-521-E5-471G-GUA0N-/281743929951

Please make some christmas mirracle Smiley Happy

Thank You

• p_milenov

UP

• Trukntigger
    Trukntigger Member Posts: 256 Mr. Fixit WiFi Icon

Secure boot will not let you switch which hard drive to boot from on the fly, was intended as a security precaution to prevent intrusion of your OS and bios.  DVD drive is not treated in the same manner nor a external USB flash drive. For one, dvd is in ISO format which the system/bios/windows recognize this. The dvd slot will run a sata hard drive (I have one in that slot) the connector inside is just a micro sata- standard 3.0 spec as additional storage but what your trying to do requires a few tweaks and even then when I did it on a older desktop was rather buggy due to bios seeing 2 hard drives with active bootable partiions. Better off with a boot loader to redirect from main C as startup to that D drive you added. Look at top of the forum here under E,F and M series at information for multiboot/linux/other OS setups.