Aspire E15 - Disk defect found

Options
roxcafe
roxcafe Member Posts: 2 New User

Hey,

I checked few things today in Care Center and got this: WD 931.51 GB Status: Attention required (suggestion: backup your data to another disk).

This laptop is not even one year old, so why I got this message and how to fix my disk? I can do recovery disk sure thing, but what is the point if I'm gonna loose the hard drive itself? Could anyone tell me what to do in that matter please? 

Thanks in advance

Roxy

Untitled-1.jpg

Answers

• finlux
    finlux ACE Posts: 1,834 Pathfinder
    Options

Hi Roxy!

I'd firstly suggest to make sure all your data (documents/videos/pictures) are backed up - either to an external memory stick/hard drive or blank DVD, you will lose them otherwise!

If your laptop is less than a year, then contact Acer support for your region - they will replace the hard drive for you under warranty - it just means a short time without your laptop.

Hard drives are HUGELY more reliable than they used to be, but because of their nature can & will fail at anytime.

Hope this helps!

• Captain_WD
    Captain_WD Member Posts: 39 New User
    Options

Hey there Smiley Happy

I'm really sorry for the situation you are in. I know how irritating storage problems can be.
    I'd also suggest backing up your data just to be on the safe side (it's always a good idea to have a backup of the data you don't want to lose).

Could you download and run WD Data Lifeguard Diagnostic tool for me and post the results from the quick and from the extended tests?  This should show you if the drive really has a problem or not.

If the laptop is still under warranty, contacting your manufacturer for the drive swap should be the best and easiest thing. Smiley Happy

Post back with the test results!

Captain_WD.

• roxcafe
    roxcafe Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

Hey,

thanks for your both replies. I did what you advised and after 4 hours I got the result: PASS.

All I do now is backup every single file into my other hard drive, but should I give the store know that this is happening?  Laptop has its own insurance, so no bother changing the disk, but I don't want them to poke around inside, cause from my experience I know laptop won't last long afterwards. It's like opening a Pandora's box Smiley Wink

What do u think?

Here's screen:

Untitled-2.jpg

Thanks! Cat Happy

• finlux
    finlux ACE Posts: 1,834 Pathfinder
    Options

Well, it's great that it has passed & not failed. I'd still be a little wary though. Past experience has taught me that despite a program and even SMART data reporting everything is OK, hard drives have failed Smiley Frustrated

Perhaps there is a bug with the Care Center program??

Are there an other issues that you are aware of - that could point to a drive issue? Clicking noises, slow response etc?

• Captain_WD
    Captain_WD Member Posts: 39 New User
    Options

Since the drive passes the tests it should be functioning properly. For more detailed info on the drive's health you'd need to check the raw values of the S.M.A.R.T. status with another tool.

Do the backups and since the computer is still under warranty simply take it there so the technicians can take a closer look at everything. Testing your storage drive with a diagnostic tool doesn't void any warranty or anything else. Smiley Happy

As finlux pointed out, HDDs are mechanical units after all and failures do happen for one reason or another.

Captain_WD.